Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 UI locks up on boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LilDeamon

LilDeamon

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

I turned my PC on this morning to find that after about 30 seconds the UI locks up almost completely. The clock is still functional and the cursor still moves, it's just that I can't click anything and the keyboard doesn't seem to work. I have found that if I can kill explorer.exe and run it again in the 30 seconds before the freeze, the system is fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Have you tried booting in safe mode?

Signature.

#3 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Yeah safe mode boots no problem.

#4 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

Makes me think it might be a malfunctioning application that currently has startup privileges may be responsible? It's a good place to start anyway. I would suggest creating a selective startup scenario. If the problem persists then that's ruled out, if the problem goes away then you can re-enable items until you find the responsible one.

Press control alt delete and then bring up the task manager, under the startup tab you should see all your programs that auto-run at startup. You can disable applications here, but make sure you know what you are disabling.

Signature.

#5 LilDeamon

LilDeamon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

Yeah I've tried that. I think I will just format again, getting blue screens now "BAD_POOL_HEADER" no idea what I've done. It was fine one day and bad the next. This is a fresh install too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users