Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skyrim issues after reinstalling windows xp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ayamcd

ayamcd

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hi all

I love skyrim and before my pc started acting up (it got stuck in an endless boot loop) I had been able to play it and the Sims 3 as well pretty much without problem. Because of the loop I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows XP 32 bit on my tower. (a Dell dimension 4550 with a Intel Pentium4 ) I managed to get all the drivers reinstalled but for some reason when I go to play skyrim the game gives me an error message saying "failed to initialize renderer".

My graphics card is a sapphire HD 3650 AGP but my computer when runing dxdiag.exe says it is a visiontek Radeon HD 2600 XT AGP

the name of my driver as stated in dxdiag is ati2dvag.dll vs 6.14.0010.7230

(oh my cpu is 2.53 GHz as well)

Thank you guys for any insight you have into this issue!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

First of all, your processor shouldn't even be running the game.  The min processor for the game is Intel Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor (AMD Sempron @ 2.4 GHz)  Does the machine have a processor with Hyperthreading?  If so, sometimes games see that as a dual core processor and they run ok.

The video card issue is interesting.  Do you still have the box or the receipt?  Please do this and let us know what is says:

1. Right click on "My Computer"

2. On the menu, click "Properties"

3. Click the Hardware tab

4. Click on Device Manager

5. In the box that pops up, click once on the "plus sign" next to Display adapters

6. Let us know what it says there. 

1. Right click on the video card name

2. Click Properties

3. Does it say "This device is working properly"?

4. Click on Driver tab at the top

5. Tell us the Driver Date and Driver Version listed there.

These steps will help us get some basic information so that we can try to fix this for you.

Skyrim System Requirements.  This includes a nice table at the bottom showing various video cards and at what settings they may play the game.

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users