Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need repair after lose of power

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pinkice26062

pinkice26062

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

I need help please. Had a power outage and when the power came back on, my pc would not load windows. A bsod came on. When I press the power button, windows would try to load then stop with the blue screen. Tried safe mode same thing. Tried command promt only same thing. Ran the dell diagnostics and everything passes. I have a dell xp home cd and booted to that to do a repair. My only choice was 1 e:\minint. I don’t want to lose any of my programs because I don’t have the installation disks for some of the programs or lose my files. Anyone have a suggestion. Maybe somehow to repair the start-up files. Not sure why I don’t see c:\windows in the repair console. Thanks for the help.

when into the install repair console with xp cd and the choices there was 

-: partition1 {fat}

c: partition2 {unknown}

e: partition3 {fat3}

whay is partition2 say {unknown}

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hi

Due to the sudden power off, your C drive file system got corrupted. In most cases it can be fixed by running check disk in C drive from XP recovery console. Follow the below steps.

(If you already know how to boot in to the "Recovery Console" , skip in to the step 7. )

To start the Recovery Console directly from the  CD you would do the following:

1. Insert the Windows XP cd or recovery console CD in your computer.

2. Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD. (change the boot order in BIOS - f10)

3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

4. The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type1 and press enter.

5. It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter

6. If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console. (Since your C drive is corrupted, it may not asks for logging in to C:\Windows)

7. Now enter CHKDSK C: /R in the command prompt to run check disk.

8. After check disk finished, enter the following commands one after another - Fixmbr and Fixboot . Press to confirm when         it asks for permission.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 20 May 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#3 pinkice26062

pinkice26062
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

as I said above.  My only choice was 1 e:\minint. after entering the recovery console. this isn't my windows installation. is there a another why too repair the system files without the recovery console?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

Hi

You don't need to be log in to the "C:\Windows" to run check disk and boot fixes. You just need  boot in to the recovery console command prompt and enter the check disk command  i described (postpone the fixboot and fixmbr commands. We may need to use that at a later time ). Don't bother about the "e:\minint" . I guess that is a WinPE installation probably used for factory image recovery. 

#5 pinkice26062

pinkice26062
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

Ok Thanks, I will try that when I get home from work.

#6 pinkice26062

pinkice26062
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

Thank you, the computer boots-up fine with no problems now.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

Hi

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users