Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi, new...and help coping with the changes...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kislanya

Kislanya

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Just wanted to post and glad to be part of the forum.  I am always in need of help it seems especially after upgrading Windows 8 from XP.  This is more in the line of a downgrade and after a month with it, still cannot navigate with the ease that I did with XP.  The pc was a gift from Dell already loaded with software that I don't begin to understand.

Thankfully via a tutorial I found here today, I finally can use my Windows Media Player to listen to tunes.  I certainly appreciate how easy it was to fix that.

I had the Freecorder4 software for years to copy audio from YT, worked beautifully with XP.  This is not possible with w8.  The newer versions of Freecorder are awful and so looking for a user friendly software similar to F-4 if it is out there that will work with this pc.

I could go on and on about the present confusion but will leave off for now and check out more helpful tutorials, posts etc...

Thanks, Kislanya

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hello.

I too have recently made the windows 8 migration. I'm not familiar with Freecorder4 but if you need to download youtube videos or extract audio from them (or even convert that audio) 

DVDVideo Soft makes a free product called Free Studio. It works extremely well, however it does have advertisements built into it, and all parts of it (even pieces that don't need to) like to have internet access, so you may want to block parts of it with your firewall if you dislike that sort of thing? I've used it for years, they make a quality product that only gets better with each release. 

Screen shots of the 2013 release:

z72416117482.jpg

n05126628461.jpg

l68483982502.jpg

Signature.

#3 Kislanya

Kislanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

So how do I just save the audio clip?  with freecorder 4 you had the option to choose one or the other...thanks for the very informative reply though.

Before I download just want to be sure I can actually just copy only audio...

#4 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

Just choose the format you want the audio to be converted to (or you can choose original to get the original unconverted audio, youtube uses 3 different codecs depending on quality) then click download. The program downloads the youtube video and extracts the audio track (converts if selected) and saves the audio file to a location you specify. The original video file is then deleted, unless you've specified it be saved as well. 

You will just get an audio file, I use it to get music :)

PLEASE NOTE:

most youtube videos are available in a variety of quality levels, you can change the settings so that it will download from a specific quality level, i usually pick Best which takes longer but gives nicer sound.

Signature.

#5 Kislanya

Kislanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

Hi and thanks!

You took so much time to explain it exactly and easy so I can do it myself...I really appreciate it so much...have missed being able to download my tunes without worrying over the software.

Wish I was smart enough with the pc to offer help to others but other then maybe offering some feedback on trying out something new, my imput will be limited;)

#6 Kislanya

Kislanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

I decided to checkout the software and located this review of the audio/video converters from DVD/Video Soft.  I wasn't sure which version you were referring to as you will see they have several updates and in addition there is a review of their audio converter.  I always read the reviews that people leave and when you have a chance would you check out this link, let me know which version you used and what do you think of the audio converter they describe farther down that page:

http://download.cnet.com/windows/dvdvideosoft/3260-20_4-6290628.html

Thanks...Kislanya

#7 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

The full product is called Free Studio, however you can install individual components...such as just the Free Youtube To MP3 Converter. I usually download it from the official website rather than cnet. I'm using full version # 6.1.1.430 (aka 2013), the individual component Free Youtube To Mp3 Converter I'm running is # 3.12.2.430. 

Full Product (Official Page):

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software.htm

Just the Youtube To Mp3 Component (Official Page):

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-to-MP3-Converter.htm

The Youtube To Mp3 Converter listed in the link you posted is not the current version, the Free Studio listed in the link (being 3rd from the bottom) is the version I'm using.

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Studio/3000-2170_4-205258.html?tag=main;dropDownForm

As for your other question, I'm not sure which other converter you are referring to?

Signature.

#8 Kislanya

Kislanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Okay going to download the Full Product from the Official Page.

Really you have been terrific...

Canada?  my mother was born in Winnipeg...;)  I am very proud of that.

#9 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

:) 

I have relatives in the USA.

Signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users