Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Gaming Ok?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 txishome

txishome

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

As I've already stated....our older computer has Windows 98 and is now NOT hooked up to internet. Since I only have a 10 year old, I'm not familiar with games. Are there games that can be bought and played on the computer without being on the internet? It's a good computer, with lots of space, etc. Sorry it seems like such a simple problem, but I won't know if I don't ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:14 PM

Hi. Yes, there are games at most department stores and toy stores that can be play without internet acess. I have 2-6 year olds that have been on the computer simce '03. I will for now only let the go to www.neopets.com. It is kid safe and has hundred if not thousands of video games.
If you decide to allow him online I have used IProtectYou to restrict where they can go and even hat times they are allowed online. Be very careful. If you forget the password you will not be able to circumvent the security. Your only otion will be to format the computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Super Corsair

Super Corsair

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:56 PM

Ebay is another good place to buy games for older computers.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:20 PM

There are many games out there for young childern that do not require Internet or the latest and greatest computer. I would suggest EB Games or GameStop (same company) if you live near one or use their websites. You can buy alot of older computer and console based games through them and if you do it locally you can see the disks before you buy the game to know if they are scratched or burned. (Had it happen to me)

Just Remember the age guidelines and what you find approperate for your child to be influanced by.

Posted Image

#5 txishome

txishome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:19 PM

Thanks so much for everyone's help. This is a great place!!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:43 PM

Glad to help.

#7 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:45 PM

Still today most of the games made today are still compatible with Windows 98 (SE). But there is some restrictions that apply this being that you have the System Requirements for the game. And if your computer was a bought with Windows 95 and Upgraded to the Latest Windows 98 then I highly dout that you have the System Requirements for the game. Why not post the System Specifications here and I and most anyone else here will tell you if you have the Requirements for the average games out there. The System Specifications are RAM Processor speed computer make ect.
William Montgomery Walters

#8 txishome

txishome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:39 PM

Well, I found out that the games are NOT compatible with my old Gateway with Windows 98. It doesn't have the right card. Luckily, I've got two other computers that can be used for my son to play games. I'm trying to figure out now what's the purpose of even keeping it. I can't make it wireless. I can't use it to play games...oh. oh, I bet it can still be used to play solitaire!!! :thumbsup:

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:50 PM

If you would nt mind list the brand, model, proccessor, amount of RAM, and HD size. We may still have solution. My kids, twins 7 one 13 yr old, are all using P-II or P-III but upgraded to Win2000 Pro. They work great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users