Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Screen on startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 terrytek

terrytek

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

Hey BleepingComputer community,

I am having trouble with my Gateway GT5685E desktop that i upgraded to Windows 8 from Vista HP. After a few months of installing it, it suddenly crashed. It starts up, but there's a blank screen, no POST, no cursor, nothing. At first, I thought it was the mobo graphics, but after I bought a new NVidia GT610, it still hasn't worked. It has an Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @2.4 GHz. Can it be something else, like the PSU, the hard drive, memory, or even the motherboard? Please I need replies ASAP because I use this computer everyday.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hi terrytek,

Did you get this resolved?

I understand from your post that you've been using Windows 8 for several months without any issues but recently it will not power up or perform a POST.  Is this correct?

I am going to assume you are fairly competent with installing hardware since you've stated you purchased a new graphics card and it hasn't changed anything.

Basic questions I'm sure you've already checked but humour me:

• Do you see any power lights on the front of the case?
  • Do you see any lights on motherboard to indicate it has power?

I have seen issues like this before on older ASUS boards. What I've done in the past is remove the CMOS battery for a little while.

To do this, ensure the computer is unplugged for the mains, remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard and leave the battery out for 15 seconds. Put the battery back in and power on the computer. 

Does anything happen?

Thank you.

#3 terrytek

terrytek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

It is correct that it has worked for a few months then it crashes, with power but no POST. As it turns out, there is only one front panel light, the power button, since i upgraded a Gateway GT5685E and I cannot find any lights on the mobo, so i cannot tell if it works. I haven't tried to remove the CMOS battery yet, but I will try soon once i get the chance once i get out of school tomorrow. Could Windows 8 not run on an Intel Core 2 Duo E4600? If so, will i have to revert back to Windows Vista

#4 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:41 AM

Hi terrytek,

I cannot initial see any problems with Windows 8 running on that processor, especially since you've already been running it for several months.  If you cannot even see the BIOS or POST screen chances are it is more likely to be hardware.

Whilst removing the CMOS battery, could you also check for any blown or bulging capacitors on the motherboard?

I've embedded an image so you can see what they look like. 

2010-12-11_135315_bad_cap.jpg

#5 terrytek

terrytek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Ok so as it turned out, the RAM, CPU, hard drive, video card and power supply were OK but unfortunately the motherboard got fried, but I ordered a new one from AscendTech and its in its way right now

#6 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hi TerryTek,

Could you ellaborate how you came to the conclusion the the motherboard was fried?

Cheers.

#7 terrytek

terrytek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

Well I had a friend test out the computer a few days after it stopped working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users