Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Help Finding A Program....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill L

Bill L

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

Im looking for a program that will record screen shots and possibly key strokes. I have a teenage daughter and want to be able to check what she is doing on-line. I had a free trial program like this once before but I forgot the name. Any ideas?

Thanks
Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:16 AM

Hello,

I don't think that you would have to go as far as installing any Keyloggers or Snapshot programs to delve into the history of another users activities, just as long as you are the Administrative user on the machine. Unless she has a very firm grasp on the storage and structure of the operating system, simply deleting internet history, Cookies, cache and so on, does not mean that all info is lost. It's still there, you just have to find it.

You might just eliminate the possibility alltogether by setting her up with her own user account that restricts the activities you don't want her to partake in.

If you are worried about a particular site, you can set it to the restricted zone in your browsers settings, simple and effective. As the administrator you can password protect content that you feel is unacceptable, that is one main reason that user accounts even exist.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:08 PM

As the administrator you can password protect content that you feel is unacceptable, that is one main reason that user accounts even exist.

Umm.. not quite :thumbsup:. Close though. More like an attempt to emulate the 'nix notion of having seperate user spaces which in turn promotes security in several different ways. The user accounts are kept seperate, protecting user privacy. One infected user account will (most of the time) not infect another user account. If someone gains access to a user acount, they only have control of that account, not the entire machine. Of course, this is only if you have a Operating System that allows you to do this. If you do, then rulesets can be created that dictate how the machine is used. One of the benefits of this is that an account can be limited as to what and where it can go.

Any third party firewall will log the URL's of sites visited, and can be password protected so that settings can not be tampered with. In addition, if there are specific sites that you wish to block, creating rules to block sites is not too difficult. The Windows built in firewall does not have that much flexibility. The addition of a third party firewall will also add a layer of security to your system.

There used to be quite a few free firewalls, but they are dwindling fast. ZoneAlarm is about the only free one I can say that I have used that works fine. I was a big fan of Sygate, but they have been bought out. You might be able to find the last free version online without too much trouble.

If you don't mind spending a little money, I would recommend Agnitum Outpost. I did a review of version 3.0 last year, and I liked it enough that I will pay for it when the next version comes out.
Shameless Plug Here

That would be the easiest way to do it, and wouldn't be quite so sneaky. :flowers:

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

Hi BillL

This just arrived in my inbox so I pass it on without comment:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1945986,00.asp

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:33 PM

As the administrator you can password protect content that you feel is unacceptable, that is one main reason that user accounts even exist.

Umm.. not quite :thumbsup: . Close though. More like an attempt to emulate the 'nix notion of having seperate user spaces which in turn promotes security in several different ways. The user accounts are kept seperate, protecting user privacy. One infected user account will (most of the time) not infect another user account. If someone gains access to a user acount, they only have control of that account, not the entire machine. Of course, this is only if you have a Operating System that allows you to do this. If you do, then rulesets can be created that dictate how the machine is used. One of the benefits of this is that an account can be limited as to what and where it can go.

I agree and that is pretty much what I was eluding to, and really what you are saying is in the same context as what I touched on. My comments were focused on one point though, not an overview of the reasoning for multi-user accounts to exist. Next time I'll be sure to use more adjectives........ :flowers:

nos :trumpet:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users