Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Engine Virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jmcedeno

jmcedeno

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Help, please. Three search engines "SNAP.DO", "CONDUIT", and "SWEETPACKS" have hijacked my PC, and it is taking a very long time for the PC to boot, this is very frustrating and using the PC is becoming a nightmare. Would you please tell me how I can remove them permanently from the Hardrive. I was informed that these are not viruses, but search engines that get in the system without permission when you visit a site. In my opinion they perform like a virus.

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 May 2013 - 03:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

Hi... I can help with this.

1. remove the offending programs from the control panel / remove programs (don't forget any updaters or messengers)

2. reset your browser. Google this for your particular browser.

3. run Adw Cleaner and delete after scan

4. run Malwarebytes anti malware

5. run Hitman Pro  choose 64 or 32 bit here depending on your system

6. run TFC (temp file cleaner)

This will clean you out. Get you on your feet again.

#3 jmcedeno

jmcedeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

Hi, thank you for your prompt response. I downloaded "Adw Cleaner", and in the extensive list of folders I see that "Conduit" and "Sweetpack" search engines are found in several places, such as: Files and Folders, and Registry. Now, you indicated that after the scan I should click on "delete" ( If I clicked on delete the entire list will be removed, I'm not quite sure if that is what you meant?) I also downloaded the Malwarebytes software, but I have not use it yet until I hear your clarification.

I'm extremely grateful for your valuable help, I think that finally I'll be able to fix my problems.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

yes, delete (using the delete button in AdwCleaner) after the Adw Cleaner scan...

download all of the tools before you start the process (sorry I did not say this at first), then proceed from step 1. Do not open your browser until all steps are completed.

Edited by TsVk!, 20 May 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#5 jmcedeno

jmcedeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thank you so much TsVk! for your continue support. Please clarify, what do you mean by tools? I must apologize for my lack of knowledge operating the PC, so specifically what should I download? when I purchased the PC it came with Windows 7 therefore  I don't have a Recovery Disc. I will wait for your reply so I could proceed. Please also tell me how can I make a donation? 

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

By tools I mean the software that I advised in steps 3 - 6.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users