Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN7 will not start

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chuck kulls

chuck kulls

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hi and thanks in advance for any help. Recently I built a new hard drive in preparation to convert several cpu's to win7.  The HD was first installed with win7 on a Asus P8H61 MB unit. After I installed it in another unit that is a Asus P5KMP.  Win7 now will not start showing a message that I need to do a repair.  After running the repair I am told it cannot fix the problem.  If I install it back in the P8 unit it still works fine.

I have several computers that I want to update to win7.  With XP I would update one and clone the rest.  I have never had a failure with XP even if the MB was different (same brand just different model).

I guess my questions is what is in win7 that will not allow me to move the HD from one unit to the next?  Is there a workaround for this problem?  Right now I am facing having to build two different HD's to accomodate my needs.  The reason for cloning is so that every computer is set up exactly like the next.

I hope this is explains my problem clear enough (several frustrating hours on this problem and no sleep so I am not sure if this is even written in English :wacko:   ).  If not please ask questions and I will answer as best I can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think this happended because BIOS switched primary hard disk, and that was the reason for non-boot. When you install new HDD, it sometimes happen that BIOS replace first boot device with new hdd, so you need to set it manually...

#3 chuck kulls

chuck kulls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for the reply TwinHeadedEagle. Maybe I am misunderstanding your idea but there is only one hard drive present. Therefore I dont see how it could change the boot priority to matter if only one bootable device is present.

#4 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

Did the original computer have the hard drive listed in bios as Sata(legacy IDE mode) or as ACHI mode?

Dide the original computer have UEFI enabled?

Make sure boot order is hard drive first.

I don't really understand what you are doing? If you want to deploy a customized windows install to multiple hard drives you should be using DISM or IMAGEX which are the official microsoft tools for this. An Installation disc is useful for easily creating the boot loader entries but you can always substitute a windows server trial iso if needed.

Signature.

#5 chuck kulls

chuck kulls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

Mr. Gibberish. The objective is to set up a mini lab with all units exactly the same as the next for software training purposes. We will build one master HD and clone the rest so that each unit is set up exactly the same from location of icons to mouse speed to monitor settings and with the programs that we tutor. In the past we have done this many times with WinXP and never experienced a HD failing to start (having to change drivers yes due to different video cards or model MB's but never fail to start). We use Acronis for the cloning. But I think I should mention we have NOT started the cloning yet. It is still just WIN7 on the HD using default WIN Drivers at the moment.

I would like to correct my post from last night. The HD was first set up (loaded with WIN7) on a Asus P8H61. The HD will work in all our units that are P8H61's and P5G41 models but it will not work in the units that are P5KPL (identified last night as  P5KMP, sorry for the mistake).

As for your other questions I am going to have to check about the UEFI however at this moment training is in progress so I cannot get to the units. For the first question the HD was brand new (never formatted) and listed as SATA.

I might also add that I did the install from a USB installer, never had a problem doing it this way before but maybe it matters so I want to inform you of anything that might be the trigger of my headaches.

Finally yes when we move the questioned HD to another unit we are point the HD to be first boot.

Earlier this morning I ran a test using a second HD (also brand new never used) using the P5KPL to install WIN7 then transferred it to a P8H61. The result is the same it will not start. The HD's just will not work (transfer) between the two model types. This was also true when I installed it in the P5G41 machines.

#6 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

As for your other questions I am going to have to check about the UEFI however at this moment training is in progress so I cannot get to the units. For the first question the HD was brand new (never formatted) and listed as SATA.

By sata I wasn't refering to the drive type I was refering to how the computer is using it

For example if you connect a sata hard drive to a computer using BIOS it may using the sata controller in legacy mode or achi mode. Legacy mode being that your bios will utilize the drive the same way an IDE drive is used and therefore no sata DRIVER is required by the operating system making the drive visible to older operating systems. However in achi mode a sata driver is required. If you install windows 7 in one of these modes the other computer must also be running it's controller in that mode or windows will be using the wrong disk driver to try to access the drive. Please note some bios's have a 3rd option which is kind-of inbetween the two previous options. To verify these settings you will need to check the bios settings on both systems.

If your comptuers are UEFI capable then that's another thing to check.

Sorry if i'm poor at explaining this, I'm tired...and I recently got a new system so my screen shots won't be helpful to you. Perhaps someone else can post some?

Signature.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:27 AM

Hi

Asus P8H61 MB ​is a 61 series chipset board and Asus P5KPL AM PS is a 31 series chipset board. It is natural that Windows failed to boot when you change the board as SATA controller and other system configuration is also changing. There is nothing new in it. This is a common scenario and that is why disk imaging companies like Acronis and Paragon came with a "Universal Restore" function in their products. What you need to do is purchase Acronis universal restore plugin and create a WinPE boot CD with it. When you clone the HDD to a different system, you simply tick the "Uiversal restore" option and Acronis will automatically adjust the cloned OS to fit in to the new motherboard.  To know more about it, read the below links -

http://kb.acronis.com/content/2149

http://www.acronis.com/smb/products/ATISBS/universal-restore.html

#8 chuck kulls

chuck kulls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:33 AM

Anshad

Yes you are correct the MB's are different as you point out. The P5G41 and P8H61 (where the first HD works) are a different series AND are both DDR3 while the P5KPL is a 31 series and DDR2.....however having said that in the past we have never had a problem swapping HD's between these machines when we were using XP SP2.....now that we are trying to convert to WIN7 suddenly we have this issue.

Reading what Acronis publishes I think why we have this problem is due to the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) which I assume means that win7 (unlike XP) is looking to a set of drivers (from the original MB) and not allowing other drivers to be discovered (from the new MB). Perhaps I am way off base in my thinking here but again "running home" to my experience with XP on these very same machines it appears XP would allow for drivers on the HAL to be discovered. I will be reading more on the HAL soon.

FYI, I am not and will never claim to be an IT guy (in fact I am a semi retired ME) but I do volunteer work teaching basic to computer skills to the underprivileged. All of the help I am receiving is very much appreicated, both to my mind and (what little) hair i have left.

@Mr Gibberish, I think I follow your meaning now, will look into this once I can get to the machines later tonight. As best I can remember the P5g41 and P8h61 units are UEFI but I dont remember seeing that on the P5 KPL units...but I speak without confidence or fact as of this posting.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

Hi

My experience is different. XP is more resistance to motherboard change than 7. If the chipset of new board is same, both XP and 7 will boot without problems. If you don't want to spend additional money to buy Acronis Universal Restore, there is an easy way to do this. It is called Sysprep . Follow the below instructions to create a universal image of Windows 7 which works in any system.

1 ) Install Windows to a system . At the end of installation when it asks for user name and password (OOBE stage) press ctrl + shift + F3 . Now the system will reboot and log in to the built in administrator account . This stage is called audit mode

2 ) Install all software you want except the drivers of the system. If any software requires restart, you can do that.

3 ) When all customization finishes, open a command prompt in administrator mode.

128593d1294005433t-windows-7-installatio

4 ) Type to Command Prompt: %windir%\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe, and hit Enter

134255d1295951370t-windows-7-installatio

5 ) 

1. In sysprep dialog that opens, choose System Cleanup Action as Enter System Out-of-Box-Experience (OOBE), selectGeneralize, select Shutdown Options Shutdown. Click OK
    128581d1294005050t-windows-7-installatio
  2. Sysprep generalizes now your Windows 7 setup and shuts down your computer. Do not run any other programs during this phase!
    128582d1294005050-windows-7-installation
    128583d1294005050-windows-7-installation

6 ) Now power on the system and immediately boot in to the Acronis boot CD. Create an image of the system and it will work in any motherboard. Windows will detect the hardware configuration in first boot.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 21 May 2013 - 04:26 AM.

#10 chuck kulls

chuck kulls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

Anshad,

Your answer provided me with exactly what I needed. I created a fresh install of the OS on a P8H61 unit then followed the instructions. After shutdown I moved the HD to a P5KPL. It loaded the correct MB drivers (win default drivers) and started without fail....perfect.

I have now tested this farther. I loaded the manufacturers drivers (now using the P5KPL), restarted and it was perfect. I then moved the HD back the P8H61 and as suspected it would not start. I returned it to the P5KPL and ran the sysprep. After I installed it again in the P8h61 where it proceeded to load the default windows drivers that allowed the OS to start correctly.

As well I have also ordered a copy of the Acronis Universal Restore which I will test and use in the future but at least now I can keep my project on schedule with sysprep.

My mind and hair thank you a million times.

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hi

Glad to hear that  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users