Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting two 3.5mm jacks wirelessly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

I am trying to figure out a way to connect my computer to my audio receiver wirelessly.  I was wondering if any company makes a 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male wireless connector so I can stream music from the computer to the receiver and then throughout my office.  I have a 3.5mm male to Red/White audio converter cable already hooked up to the receiver so I can plug whatever I want with a 3.5mm jack. Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.  :bananas:

Edited by Dr. Joe, 20 May 2013 - 10:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

Does the computer move about the office much (is it a laptop)?  If it is a desktop or the laptop doesn't move around in the office much why not just run a audio cable (the red\white kind) to where the computer sits and plug it in.  Either way it would probably be in the way to have a wireless connector adapter attached to a laptop.  But I also understand that sometimes ya just want it done a certain way, so on that note no I have never heard of a connection like that.

#3 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

Does the computer move about the office much (is it a laptop)?  If it is a desktop or the laptop doesn't move around in the office much why not just run a audio cable (the red\white kind) to where the computer sits and plug it in.  Either way it would probably be in the way to have a wireless connector adapter attached to a laptop.  But I also understand that sometimes ya just want it done a certain way, so on that note no I have never heard of a connection like that.

Yea the receiver is in a closet on the other side of the office so it would be a pain to do that.  I appreciate the response though.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

There are Bluetooth adapters that connect to your receiver. You would then need Bluetooth on your computer (if you do not already have it). Here is an example (there are many other brands/models):

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Speaker-Bluetooth-980-000540/dp/B004VM1T5S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369106663&sr=8-3&keywords=wifi+audio+adapter

Another option would be an "media adapter/device". The example that I know will work is either an AppleTV or an AirPort Express...but I suspect that there are other options (I believe a Roku would also be able to do stream audio from the likes of Windows Media Player, but I have not looked into setting up that functionality with my Roku device as it is connected to my secondary TV). By default with an AppleTV or AirPort Express, you can use iTunes to "stream" music to them from your iTunes library and thus to a receiver/speakers that are connected to them. If you want to use more than just music that you might have (or be able to get into) iTunes, then you can use Airfoil to stream ANY audio (say Pandora or Spotify, etc from a browser) from the computer to the AppleTV or AirPort Express.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

I personally have an AppleTV connected to my receiver/speaker system in my family room and an AirPort Express (also used to extend my wireless network) into an old set of computer speakers in my living room upstairs. While I don't currently use Airfoil, I do regularly use them to stream my music from iTunes on my computer.

FWIW, it sounds like you would want an AirPort Express rather than an AppleTV. There is a mini-headphone style audio jack that you then connect to receiver using the 3.5mm to Red/White adapter cable. That same jack works as an optical audio port...so you could use an optical audio cable to your receiver if your receiver has an optical audio input jack...if you want digital audio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users