Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safest email option when attachments have to be opened

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 monteverde

monteverde

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

All articles on email hacking start (or end) with something about common sense implying that you never open an email attachment from somebody you don’t know, but what if your job requires you to do just that?

As a translator, I receive constantly files to translate, usually from translation agencies, but sometimes also directly from final users. I do check the source code etc. but now and then I open an email/email attachment and funny things starts happening (Internet gets very sluggish, other emails disappear into thin air etc.).

How do you minimize this kind of problem? Have a PC only for emails (with its own Internet connection) is an (expensive) possibility. Maybe a Linux-based email reader? Unfortunately, I have only a vague idea of what Linux is.

Any suggestion appreciated. Alex 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

What do you use for email?

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Why not put the email client into a sandbox on your computer? Or save the attachments into a sandbox on the computer, then when you open the attachment, it will be opened into the sandbox and be isolated from the rest of the computer, thus making it more difficult for a virus to spread. Also if its a .pdf extension or anything similar to that nature, then if you're using outlook it has a built-in previewer which allows you to preview the message before you save it.

Also outlook also has a built-in virus on demand checker, which will check the emails for you.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

You can also save the attachment to your computer, go to it, right click and scan with your antivirus and any malware scanners.
If you have a malware scanner that is not listed in right click context you may be able to open up the scanner and do a custom scan of only that file.

#5 monteverde

monteverde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I use Window Live Mail, with preview off and text only. I do save attachments and scan them before opening them. And yet, sooner or later something manages to sneak trough.

I have considered Sandboxie, but I have read somewhere that it is not 100% effective.

#6 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Nothing is 100% effective, but it just adds another layer that it has to get through.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users