Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow wifi connectons

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

I am running a sonicwall tz100 on a network and I am having issues with the wifi.  When I connect a computer to the wifi (which has wireless N) I commonly get only 5.5 Mbps connection, sometimes it goes up but generally it stays around 11 Mbps.  I have the router set up with a wireless DMZ with a virtual access point as well as a network accessible access point.  I have checked to make sure that I don't have any bandwidth management policies enabled.  I am at a loss as to why I am having this issue.  I have disabled the WDMZ access point to see it that would fix the problem as well with no success.  This really gets in the way when one of the employees starts downloading email to his outlook and he hasn't checked it in a few days and pulls down 900+ emails.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

That's why you set up your QOS correctly, where the emails won't affect the rest of the bandwidth. Have you checked the drivers on the computer to make sure that they're up to date?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

The issue is not that he drags down the network speed for everyone else when he is downloading his email but that it takes him forever to download them.  He is generally the only one on the wireless network so its not an issue of him slowing things down for other employees (this is at a remote location not our main office).  The solution I have found so far is to shut of wireless N and just run on a b\g mixed network.  It slows things down for wireless N clients (which there are none who use that network regularly) but gives the rest normal speeds.  From what I have been able to find researching this everyone's hardware acts differently when it comes to a mixed b\g\n wireless network.  Some handle it all without any trouble and some the older standards suffer a little when N is enabled.  

I haven't checked all the machines to verify the drivers are up to date but I have used 3 different machines and they all have the same trouble, one of which is brand new.

Edited by hispaladin, 21 May 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#4 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hi hispaladin,

I've seen this post and it caught my attention.

What firmware are you using on the SonicWALL TZ100?

What security services do you have enabled on the WLAN zone?

Thank you.

#5 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Firmware is 5.8.1.12-65o and as for security services if you are referring to what is under the security services tab on the left of the screen, none.  

#6 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

If you login into the SonicWALL, go to network and then zones.

Are any security services enabled for the wireless zone?

Also, if you go to network and then interfaces.

Does the WLAN interface have anything in the comments section?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users