Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboard letters not working.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bobbies

bobbies

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:54 AM

I have a Packard Bell, laptop which is several years old. I had a new hard drive put in by a friend, but for some reason the letter A isnt working. Is it a phisical thing or a software problem. I have lifted the key off to see if anything was underneath, but it looks O/K. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyrus not the Virus

Cyrus not the Virus

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

It's your KB problem.Used to have this problem, replace the KB. I think it's an AT KB not PS/2 type. Pls check before buying.  

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

Cyrus, as a FYI he mentioned "Packard Bell, laptop" Thus it isn't a PS2 or At type keyboard

Bobbies, It is possible that it is the keyboard, One test would be to plug in a USB keyboard and see if that works OK.

It isn't hard but it takes a bit of care to change a laptop keyboard since the connectors on the motherboard can be very delicate. I'm not familiar with Your make of laptop as Packard Bell disappeared from the American market many years ago. Approximately the year 2000.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Cyrus not the Virus

Cyrus not the Virus

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:16 AM

Sorry bobbies! I did not read carefully. I thought it is a desktop as I used Win 98 on a desktop.

Edited by Cyrus not the Virus, 23 May 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#5 bobbies

bobbies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:04 AM

Thanks Guys. I'm talking about one key here, i know you can change the keys, but what i ment was, what do i look for once i have flipped the key of to see if it's no good, or i can sort it. thanks. 

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

My apologies too, If it is indeed running Windows 95 or 98 then I highly doubt a USB keyboard would work.

However a Laptop that vintage should have a ps2 keyboard port or a ps2 port that can support either a Mouse or a keyboard or both with a splitter.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Cyrus not the Virus

Cyrus not the Virus

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

That is difficult to say.The kb of laptop is  soldered or linked on a mobo. I have really no idea!

Have you tried searching online if there is any resource about the defunct Packard Bell laptop technical manuals?

Sorry,I can't help much unless it's a desktop. 

Edited by Cyrus not the Virus, 25 May 2013 - 04:21 AM.

#8 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

If you pulled off the key, and there is nothing stuck under it, sometimes you can just use your finger to tap where the key goes. If the A types on the screen then its that the key is not on correctly.  If it does not type A on the screen then you have a faulty keyboard on the laptop.

As stated before, it can be a little tricky for the novice to change out a keyboard but it can be done.  If you know how to remove yours, under the keyboard will be a part number which you can use to search online to see if you can find a replacement.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users