Hello everyone, I'm new to the bleepingcomputer community and would firstly like to say that I'm grateful that such a community even exists. I've been reading forum topics from time to time here and the community seems great. Anyway, I'm looking for some help on an issue I am having. I've taken the time to read all of the forum rules regarding how to post a problem so here I go. I'm trying to be detailed as possible so bare with me, and thank you in advance to anyone who reads this and is able to lend a hand.
It seems like my computer has caught a horrendous virus. Up until 4 days ago my computer was just fine and running as smooth always, but recently when I turned it on I came to find it having a hard time running tasks and it kept slugging on every program I tried running. After I restarted the computer it became drastically worse with it slowing down on me after boot up and freezing after I opened a specific amount of programs. I've been booting up in SafeMode ever since because after normal boot-ups everything is unresponsive after a certain amount of time of usage. I'm scared it might be a rootkit virus of some sort that can't be detected. I've tried everything to my knowledge to try to fix it but everything is to no avail.
**Things I've tried to find a solution**
- Several (~5-6) FULL AV Scans (Using McAfee, MSE, Malwarebytes and most recently AVAST(of which I ran a Boot-Scan as well)) and also a "Microsoft Safety Scan" (One possible virus called "OpenCandy" was detected by "Microsoft Security Essentials" which had been detected by McAfee earlier but I ignored because I researched it and it wasn't a considerable threat (considered malware), came with the program FL Studio but I deleted it all-together with the program to be on the safe side. All other AV Scans reported nothing but clean.
(Also, I know that running more than 1 anti-virus program can conflict with others but when I ran these full AV Scans I made sure I was only running one at a time while the others where either turned off or uninstalled for the time being)
My main Anti-Virus which I use is McAfee, I then have MSE turned off as a backup and recently downloaded Malwarebytes and AVAST(All in that order). I would also like to point out that ever since I've had this problem, I can't run a McAfee scan whatsoever because whenever I start one nothing happens and the scan percentage is stuck at "0% checked"; I try closing the program which then freezes and so I have to task-manage my way out of it.
- Ran a RAM Bootscan (Windows Memory Diagnostic) to check for RAM hardware errors (None)
- Ran a Disk Cleanup just in case and because my PC hadn't gotten one in well over a month
- Uninstalled several unused programs which I didn't need because I never used often. (FL Studio being one of them and the others were honestly such minor add-on programs I can't remember their names, sorry)
- Ran System File Checker to check for corrupt or missing files. (No errors)
- Ran 2 Disk Error Checks
-First one without the second option of 'resolving problems' selected which returned in no errors found.
-Second one with the option selected which returned 'no errors found' as well.
- 2 System Restores to the earliest dates possible. (Earliest possible dates were 05/02/13 & 05/06/13)
- Would also like to point out that I tried defragging my PC but it wouldn't let me. I boot up in Safe Mode and whenever I would go to defrag and click the icon to begin the process, nothing happened, no response from it whatsoever. (Though it might be that its because defragmentation doesn't work in Safe-Mode?)
-Before my PC started running sluggish on start up I had received several McAfee internet access notifications of a program named "Search Protect by Conduit" which I didn't give access to. I was honestly busy when it had asked me so I didn't pay much attention to it. Then I researched what it was as soon as my PC started acting up and many people online claim it to be some sort of personal information high-jacking program. When I realized this, I immediately uninstalled it from my PC (*Its been installed on my PC since February and it never gave me much trouble until recently, I know this because System Restore stated it was a program which would be restored since I had deleted it) I googled all methods to rid myself of it completely and followed them by downloading a service called "AdWCleaner" which got rid of all traces from "Search by Conduit". Don't know if my PC is failing because of that but I'm worried anyway and wanted to point that out.
Also forgot to mention that "AdWCleaner"; the program which I 'thought' had deleted all the "Search by Conduit" folders, files, & traces did NOT exterminate all of them and I was able to find 2 traces of them under "Start-up programs" when checking "msconfig" which I disabled. I rid myself of it by manually deleting it from my registry. I've done some research and found several people in recent weeks coming forward with the same problem regarding "Search Protect All" & "Search Protect" by Conduit.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.