Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavillion Stuck on Boot Screen\ F-keys not functioning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Elkcity69

Elkcity69

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

OK this is my sister's computer.  I am 1000 miles away and trying to help guide her via phone to resolve issue.  She is using an HP Pavillion a6642p Desktop.....can't tell you whether it is a 32 or 64bit, OS Vista Home Edition. 

After two days of online research, I have found many users of HP running into the same issue.  The problem computer here though has another weird keyboard issue.  First let me say that we've tried a power drain and I've had her change from wireless keyboard/mouse to standards, but still same issue.  She isn't able to reboot and get any function keys to work nor can she access the commands from the Boot screen.

Now this afternoon with the new keyboard in after her 4th time or so rebooting every single key on the keyboard will open up the BIOS startup text (white letters on black screen)!!  That isn't even a command function....what is the deal with that?

Oh and BTW, there is absolutely no pause between hitting the power button and the HP Logo screen/Boot screen...so can't even get to the Advanced Boot Options or any other command.

This is the info from the BIOS text screen that was relayed over the phone:

American Megatrends Incorporated

BIOS revision (or version?) 5.32-BIOS Date 10-23-2008

CPU Type: Intel ® Pentium ® Dual CPU E2200 2.0 GHZ

CPU Speed: 2.20 GHZ-FSB speed 800MHZ

Cache Ram L21024kb

Installed Memory 496 MB/pc2-6400 Dual Channel

Memory Bank 1  1024 MB/DDR2 SDRAM

Memory Bank 2 (same)

Memory Bank 3 (same)

Memory Bank 4 (same)

Initializing USB Controllers

-==============================================================================

Is it normal to say "intializing USB Controllers"?

Thanks for any help! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hi elkcity69

Try resetting the BIOS to default settings and check any other external devices that are connected that might interfere with the computer during hardware discovery. If nothing helps, remove the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes and see if it will correct the problem.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users