Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DriveImage XML: index file corrupted, can't restore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

I have several backups of my old laptop that I made using DriveImage XML by Runtime Software. Today I tried to restore files from the backups and got several error such as Missing '<' in close tag of element 'bitmapitem' and Missing close tag in element 'map'.

The index files (if that's the right term) are written in XML, and I looked inside them with an XML editor. I know only a little about XML, but based on what the parser tells me there seem to be many, many errors with misplaced or missing close tags. It could take ages to fix  them all.

Is there another option? Is there a way to regenerate the XML file? Or can I bypass it completely? (I'm just trying to browse the backup for certain files, not restore the whole image.)

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

How to Backup and Restore your hard drive with DriveImage XML

This tutorial has a section titled How to restore individual files, folders and data: which may be of help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users