Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reset an unknown BIOS password

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 plumm

plumm

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

I recently aqurired this Dell inspiron 1564 laptop second hand. All  I was told about it was 'it needs a password to get into it'. Little did I know it was a bios password. I typed in a wrong one 3 times and got a code for system failure. Is there an easy way to get around this to reset the password. 

I realize this is a security issue and there is no way to be sure that a person asking for a password is not the person that stole the laptop. But there has to be some kind of way that the legit owner can get into the system I would think.

Thanks for any help with this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

My guess...would be that you need to contact whoever sold it to you...and/or Dell.

From what I see, the Dell BIOS passwords are an inherent security feature tied to whomever is the registered owner of a given system.  If you legally acquireed the system, then it seems that a change of ownership may be able to processed through Dell...and your situation alleviated.

Unlike some other system manufacturers...Dell does not seemingly provide instructions for bypassing the set passwords that may be employed.

Louis

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

Hi

I doubt if Dell provide any support for resetting BIOS password. Unlike a desktop, laptop BIOS password can't be removed by resetting BIOS. You should either contact the seller or approach a professional laptop chiplevel repair firm. 

#4 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Hi plumm,

I can help you to reset the BIOS password if you provide the name of the registered owner of the system after transferring the ownership as informed by Louis.

Please send me a Personal Message with the name of the registered owner and the system Service Tag, so that I can veirfy the details and proceed further.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

<<Please send me a Personal Message with the name of the registered owner and the system Service Tag...>>

This forum (and all other BC forusm) do not conduct business (attempting to assist members) via PM.  Please do not suggest such to the membership.

Many heads...are better than one...when it comes to resolving computer situations that are problematical.  The forum format exists to protect the interests of all members...that cannot be done if members are receiving/acting upon suggestions/ideas conveyed via PMs...which are not under the scrutiny of the forum membership.

As for "working at Dell"...Dell has a large number of employees, as does any corporate structure.  That, in itself, qualifies no one to do anything that is outside the role assigned them by Dell, at Dell.

BC has its established procedure for authorized reps...that's what BC uses to establish the bona fides for any person representing the entity/enterprise he/she works for.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 May 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#6 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Hi Louis,

The only purpose behind requesting the Service Tag and other details via PM, is to safeguard the customer's personal information.Once the information is verified, I'll make sure that I get back to the main thread with the resolution provided.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Hi Louis,

The only purpose behind requesting the Service Tag and other details via PM, is to safeguard the customer's personal information.Once the information is verified, I'll make sure that I get back to the main thread with the resolution provided.

I don't know what you mean...do you see any reference to what you requested...in my post?

The policy re conducting forum business...openly within the forum...has nothing at all to do with service tags or whatever is requested by any member.  It's a public forum, let's keep forum business public...for the protection of all from "private" information that may not necessarily be in the best interests of anyone.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users