Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall W7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Caston

Caston

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

:clapping:  :clapping: Hello all

I have been using a Laptop which I need to wipe and reinstall W7. No experience of such operation.

W7

Acer Aspire V3-571

6 GB RAM

500GB Hard Drive.

I have backed up to WD Essential External H D with Macrium Reflect.

Created 'an image of the partition' . Disk Management says 0 (1 Partition).

Created Comodo and Macrium rescue disks

Created System Repair disk.

I have also created HDDsecurerase to wipe the disk.

It would be most helpful if someone with experience can give me detailed instructions how to do this, and highliight any possible problem I may encounter.

Thanks very much.

Caston

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hi 

Do you have a Windows 7 installation DVD ? (retail version ) . If you have one read the below tutorials to know how to reinstall Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Reinstalling Windows should be an easy process for you if you use Acer eRecovery Management which is included on your system.

All Acer desktops and notebooks come preloaded with a recovery partition to allow you to restore the operating system on your computer. You can use Acer eRecovery Management software to create recovery media, reinstall Windows without using CDs or DVDs, or just reinstall drivers and applications.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29925

For directions on how to use eRecovery Management click the link in the quote, choose your operating system and then click
Learn how to restore your computer using the Recovery Management Program.

So far you have done well with the steps you have taken.

As for potential problems most likely you won't have any if you follow the instructions.

Yes there are things that can go wrong. It would be impossible to highlight them all.

All I can tell you is to just do it.

edit to add: While in Recovery Management Program look for something that will allow you to create disks of the recovery partition. If you see Backup thats where you will do it from. Having a set of disks may come in handy in the future. It should prompt you with step-by-step directions. If it takes more than 1 disk, make sure you label each disk 1, 2, etc. If you have already created disks ignore this. Most manufacturers will allow only one set to be made. You can, however, make back up disks of the disks. These can also be useful if a disk gets so scratched it cannot be used.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 May 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#4 Caston

Caston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

I am very thankful for the responses received, ensure I am on the right track.

One other question.

'Restore Operating System to Factory Defaults'.

I downloaded HDDsecurerase to 'Wipe the Hard Drive'.

If Acer's facility return the computer to Factory Defaults/Settings does it mean I will not need to wipe the Hard Drive  ?.

The machine was loaned to me (I have a Desktop) that is why I need to remove important Data.

Thanks to everyone.

Caston

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

Hi

Don't wipe the HDD. It will permanently destroys the recovery partition and you won't be able to recover the original OS came with the system.

Yes, "factory defaults" will erase all partitions and  restore the OS and partitions to the state when you purchased the system.   

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

I do not have and have never had a Acer. My only experience with restoring to factory condition is on a Compaq my mother had, my HP laptop, and my daughter's Toshiba.

At no time when reinstalling the OS on those systems was I asked to enter the Windows OS key. It may the same for Acer, but just in case it is not right down the key BEFORE you start the reinstall process.

Please let us know how it turns out after the reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users