Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help to Install Windows 7 OEM over Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

I attempted several times to Install Win7 OEM Home Premium x64 over Win8, but am having great difficulty.  First, I popped in the Win7 disc, and then rebotted, but the computer evidently did not reboot to the DVD drive so that I could install Win7. So, next, I opened up the DVD from the desktop after the computer booted up again, and selected set up.  The first time, I selected the option to go on line and retrieve all the updates for the Win7 install, but I got an error message and it would not allow me to continue in that option.  Next, I chose the Custom Install and it began to copy temp files and then it took me to the where the partition selection options were. This is were I am a little confused.  There were like 5 partitions.  I selected the partition that containedthe Windows 8 info on it, as it was the one that the install defaulted to in the selection window.  I received a message that the system would be rebooted several times during the install process.  After the first reboot, I got an error message about using a bootup tool or to continue in Windows 8, this was on a DOS type screen.  I couldn't figure out what to do when selecting the Boot Tool option.  So, after that I just went ahead and continued in Win8.  Once the computer finished booting again and I was back to my desktop, I got an another error message that stated that the Windows version that I am trying to install was unable to complete, or something to that effect.  So, I went back to the folder on the bottom of the Win 8 screen to open up the DVD and try to install Win 7 again, but after selecting setup from the Win7 menu, the computer is stuck in Setu, "copying temporary files."  The system has been like that for about 1/2 hr now.  

I am seriously not very good at all with Win8, and need help desperately.  I think I need to somehow get Win 8 setup so that it will read my DVD from the boot. But, I do not know how to do this.  Can someone please help me with simple step by step instructions on how I can get Windows 7 installed over Windows 8?  I just want to format my hard drive and just have 1 partition with Windows 7 on it. 

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~
[OF/FA] Orion Faction-Retired
Game Squad Fleet Admiral~Retired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Hi

What you need to do is a clean install of Windows 7 . That is deleting all existing partitions (backup any data first) and install Windows 7 to the newly installed partition. I suggest creating at least 2 partitions- a 50 GB drive for OS ) C Drive)  and the remaining space to store data. Read the below guide if you are not familiar with Windows installation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,997 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Some good advice on installing Windows 7 on a Windows 8 computer in link below.

How to Uninstall Windows 8, Install Windows 7 on Your PC | PCMag.com

QUOTE:  ........Microsoft does offer downgrade rights, complete with support services and a clear downgrade path to Windows 7, but only for systems with Windows 8 Pro. If you've just got plain old Windows 8—and most mainstream systems do—you're on your own. Switching between the two operating systems is still very doable, but you'll be doing it without Microsoft's blessing........

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

Anshad,

Thanks for the quick reply.  However, the first link does not provide instructions on how to make my DVD bootable from restart:

Boot the computer from your Windows 7 installation DVD.
NOTE: Make sure that the CD/DVD drive is selected first and your HDD second in the boot priority order in your BIOS settings. Usually it is by default.

I tried to press a bunch of keys already when I restarted the computer with the DVD, but it did not read it and continued to boot up in Win8.  Now, my system is forever stuck installing a Win8 update.  So, when and if that is ever finished, I need step by step help on how change the boot settings option to read DVD first in the bios.   

The primary reason why I want to install Win 7 is because my wife does not like Win 8 and also because the NET Framework and many many other of the Win 8 system files are corrupted beyong repair.  We have tried adnosium to get this fixed but I have given up on getting Win8 repaired and now appears to be a better than never to simply install Win7 on her machine.  The computer and all of its applications are jacked up really bad.  See this prior link for the help that I got in the forums last month.   I have everything backed up and ready to go.  But to do a "Clean Win7 Install" has become very problematic for me.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/491653/reposting-on-this-forum-per-security-forum-moderators-instructions/

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to the next step of instructions.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#5 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

After the computer finished updating,  the system rebooted into what looks like a DOS mode window.  At first it came up with the Windows Boot Manager DOS screen to choose which operating system to start.  It gave  me the option to go to either "Set up" or "Windows *" operating system, or press TAB  to select a tool. or  Tools.  When I select the Set Up option, I get an error message stating that digital signature for this file couldn't be verified." Then it cycles back to the next screen in the DOS Boot Manager window. 

Once the screen refreshed  I got another  long message about a "recent hardware of software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from unknown source.  It further states that if you have Windows installation disc, insert it and restart your computer,   Click Repair your computer, and then choose a recovery tool.  Otherwise,. to start Windows so you can investigate further , press the ENTER key to display the boot menu, press F8 for Advanced Boot Options",  Whenver I try to press TAB or F8, it just gives me an error message and basically cycles through the same DOS type screens above over and over.  When I arrow down to select Windows 8 on the above screen, then Windows 8 just boots up normally.

yikes!

Edited by hYlAnDeR~TFC, 19 May 2013 - 11:34 AM.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#6 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Ok,

I think that I am at a good spot at the install process.  I am at least back to what appears as a Windows 8 background blue screen with an Install Windows  window.  The window that is up is asking me where I want to install Windows?

It appears that my disc has 6 partitions:

Disc 0 partition 1 : WINRE_DRV  1000.0 MB   (OEM Reserved)

Disc 0  partition 2: SYSTEM DRV (E:)   260.0 MB     System

Disc 0 partition 3: LRS_ESP   500.0 MB      OEM (Resereved)

Disc 0 partition 4:                   128.0 MB            MSR (Reserved)

Disc 0 partition 5:  Windows8_OS (C:)      1836.8 GB           Primary

Disc 0 partion 6:  PBR_DRV              24.4 GB                   OEM (Reserved)

The options I have at the bottom of this windows is:

"refresh"

"load driver"

- To make changes to parititions, restart windows from the installation disc.

Do I select the 5th partition to install Windows 7 onto?  And, if so, will I get to an option where I can reformat and just have 2 partitions as you suggested ?

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hi

Did you able to boot from the Win 7 DVD ? . If you can't boot from the DVD, post your system model name and i will provide instructions on how to change the boot order. If you already boot from the DVD then delete all the partitions and create two new partitions. Here is a video guide which will make things clear for you.

#8 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

I don't think I booted from the Windows 7 disc.  I just selected the the DVD from the window from the desktop folder at the bottom and then hit the install.exe file.  That is where I am at now.  My screen does not look like yours above.   

Here is the system specs:

lenovo-K410 Core brand computer- purchased from Fry's Electronics-Ready to go from the box

Intel Core i7 - 3770 CPU @ 3.4 GHz

8 GB RAM DDR3

2 TB HD

64 bit Operating System

Yes, I will need instructions on how to change to boot order.

I went ahead and cancelled out where I was before and I am at the desktop. 

Thanks

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi

Here is the user guide of your model  : http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/user_guides/k4_ug_en.pdf

First thing you need to do is to create a recovery image of the PC for re-installing Win 8 if you needed it later. To do that either use the program "Lenovo Rescue system" and  create recovery media by following it's on screen instructions or you can use Windows built in image backup. Read the instructions below.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8956-system-image-create-windows-8-a.html

After creating the recover image , follow the below steps.

1 ) Insert Win 7 DVD in the drive.

2 ) While the system is powering on continuously press F12  until you see a boot selection menu appears. Select your DVD drive from the list and press enter to boot from the DVD. You may see a prompt with "Press any key to boot from DVD",  then hit a button in the keyboard to start booting.

3 ) If F12 method didn't works,  press F2 during power on to enter in to the BIOS or System Setup. From there you can change the boot order probably from the tab "Boot".

#10 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

I really don't plan on ever using Windows 8 again quite frankly.  And, since the system is so jacked up right now, if I choose to do the lenovo system backup to create  an image of the PC, it requires  an estimated 188 GB of space.  I don't have a spare portable drive handy to store this on. Further, because the current system is so messed up, even if I did have a place to store this  recovery image, it would probably take about 4 to 5 hours to complete it and it may not be all that reliable of a restore in the first place because the NET Framework along with all of the many many other files that are currently corrupted on the Windows 8 system.  The recovery image will most likely not be a reliable image to begin with.

So, having said all that, may I just proceed with 2)  the "while the system is powering on continuously press F12 to hopefully get to a boot selection menu?" or if that doesn't, proceed with 3) F2 method?

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#11 Blue Screen Lover

Blue Screen Lover

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Aah, so you have a Lenovo system.

I have a Lenovo system here too, so I guess I can help.

1. Shut down WITHOUT the boot disk.

2. After shutdown, take a paper clip, straighten it out, and insert it into the tiny hole on the CD drive.

3. Push firmly on the paper clip until the drive opens.

4. Insert the cd and close the drive.

5. Turn on your system.

6. The second you hit the power button hit F12 as many times as possible.

7. Select your CD drive from boot menu.

8. hit enter and follow on screen instructions.

9. Enjoy your journey to leave the pain of windows 8 :)

#12 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

Houston, we got a problem....

there is no hole on the DVD/CD drive to push anything in....???

I have a feeling that the face of the case, the way this lenovo is built, that it may be actually blocking this little hole. I can see if perfectly on my other computer.   But, I really cannot tell without actuall taking the darn thing out, which means I would have to do some hardware R&R.   I would hate to open up this case and losen up the DVD/CD drive to just find out only to discover that it doesn't have a hole. But, if you think that is what I should do, and then I do in fact find the hole, then I could do the paper clip thingy and put the Win7 DVD in there, re-attach the DVD, close up the case and away I go. 

I don't understand what is the diiference whether I am able to put the OEM Win7 disk in after the computer is shut down compared to if I put it in while the system is still on, and then shut the computer down all the way and then do a cold boot.  The Problem is, is that I did that already, I mean put the OEM Win 7 dvd in and shut it down completely and rebooted.  Nothing happened!  It just booted normally into Win8. So, I think the primary issue is that I still need help, the step by step instructions on what to do next?  

Should I just put the disc in again, shut it down completely, then reboot and immediatly hit the F12 key?  And, then hopefully I can get DVD/CD boot menu and then proceed with the new Win7 installation?

Edited by hYlAnDeR~TFC, 19 May 2013 - 04:43 PM.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

What you may need to do is disable the UEFI boot and change it to legacy boot in the BIOS. If you can then boot from disk and install, great. If not I'd get a Linux distro on disk to reformat your drive and get rid of all the insane partitions, then install from a clean HDD.

#14 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

How do I get t the BIOS so I can disable the EUFI boot and change to legacy?  

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#15 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Well,

I put the OEM Win 7 DVD in, shut down the computer, then did a cold reboot.  While powering on, I hit the F12 key and got to where I could select the DVD drive. I selected this option, but then got an error message. "Secure Boot Violation" - Invalid signature detected.  Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users