Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Pop Up Claims Windows is not Valid

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cableman

cableman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

I used another forum but got no helpful results. I used to use this one until a computer crash and I forgot it until now. I have a laptop HP 4525s with windows 7 professional installed. I received this computer new. I openened the new box and opened the packaging. I receieved it as part of my books and equipment for taking online college classes. I have been accused of putting a bootleg version of windows on this laptop. I am tired of being accused. If it was tampered with it would have been a real pro job since I opened the new packaging. I have had it for 2 years before these pop ups and they only started after swithing to Viper virus protection which was a mistake because I got full of virus'.

No on has been able to help me except to keep accusing me of putting a booleg windows on it after a malware cleaning process didn't help. I am so tired I want to do a factory restore but even though I have administrative privilidges I am blocked. I am blocked from restore. I am blocked from any windows updates. Looks like it never has been updating; at least for a long while.

If anyone can help me please send out ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hi

I checked the specification of your model. It came in 2 flavor. One with Home Premium installed and another with Professional. As you are pretty sure that the seal is not broken, i guess you have a genuine Win 7 Professional installed in the laptop. To make sure it is a genuine copy, look at the bottom of the laptop for a sticker with Windows 7 Professional OEM key (​COA or Certificate of Authenticity). If you can see one, your Windows is genuine no matter what it says.

1270558000_86224332_1-Pictures-of--Buyin

Here is the user manual of your laptop. http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02791389/c02791389.pdf

I suggest restore the OS to the factory condition and then validate the OS. Follow the below steps. (refer page 157 of the manual )

To recover the original hard drive image using f11, follow these steps:

1. If possible, back up all personal files.

3 . Restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press
the ESC key for Startup Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen (BIOS Logo Screen)

4. Press f11 to enter HP Recovery.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

After recovery finishes, go to this link and validate your Windows -  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 19 May 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

Have you called MS to see if they will help you resolve this issue?

The following is an excerpt from Microsoft Community.

click Start, right click Computer

Click Properties

Scroll down to Windows Activation

Click the link x days until activation.

Click the link that says 'Show me other ways to activate' or 'Enter a product key'

Enter the product key located on the COA sticker at the bottom of your laptop

COA Certificate of Authenticity:

http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/content.aspx?pg=coa

Click Next

Select Phone Activation

Click Next when Enter your key page displayed

Select your country

Click Next, call the number listed

Remember to explain to the call agent your situation.

Provide the generated installation ID when requested by the call agent

They will give you a confirmation ID in return, enter it

Click Next to complete the activation.

If you are having problems with administrator rights you can do the following to disable the protection.  

Open the Control Panel, click on User Accounts, click on Change User Account Control settings.

You will see an image like the one below, move the slide control to Never Notify and click on OK.

useraccount_zps1d0b0c13.png

This is a security feature which keeps others from making unwanted changes to your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users