Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 PC doesn't recognise Docking Station

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Inveryes

Inveryes

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

Hi

I purchased a Winstar Communicator C1 SATA Hard Drive Docking Station to try and access a Hard Drive which has been removed from an old PC which failed.

My current PC is  a Dell XPS 8500 running Windows 7 Home Premium.

On first connecting the Docking Station to the PC, all went well and I was able to access all the files on the old Hard Drive in the docking station.

However, now when I connect the docking station to the PC via a USB 2.0 socket, it no longer auto-runs.

I can hear the HD running in the docking station so it sounds OK.

If I unplug the docking station from the USB socket whilst the hard drive is running in the docking station, I can hear the two tone Windows sound showing that my PC has acknowledged the disconnection. However it doesn't rfecognise it when I connect it.

With it connected to the PC, it does not appear in My Computer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

HI, Does it appear in disk management?

Warning! Please read this first.
Be careful using this advice as it can damage your computer.

Click the Start Orb, Then type "Disk Management" (No quote marks) in the bottom search box. Then choose  Create and format hard disk partitions. Make no changes. If a pop up appears, be sure to cancel it.

Disk Management will open. Take a screen Shot and post it here.

You can follow this tutorial to post a screen shot.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 19 May 2013 - 02:19 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Inveryes

Inveryes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I did as you suggested ( although I didn't get an option to choose Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions. )

I took a screen shot of Disk Management and have attached it.

diskmanagement_zps1aea4a31.jpg

The Docking Station is also a card reader and I tried it with an SD card inserted instead of the old Hard Drive, but it still didn't show up.

The annoying thing is that it worked fine when initially set up.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

There are parts of the Disk Management that appear to be scrolled off the screen. Did You do the test with the hard drive in the dock? Can You scroll down to show the rest?

Have You tried it with another computer?

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Inveryes

Inveryes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Here's an image of the lower half of the Disk Management screen

diskmanagement2_zpsed4a1051.jpg

This is with the hard drive in the docking station.

I tried connecting it to a laptop too, but no joy.

Edited by Inveryes, 21 May 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#6 Inveryes

Inveryes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Just FYI, here's the response I got from the manufacturer's technical support:

Hi
  1)Can you tell me the system of your computer?
  2) You can change a  PC to test it ~
  3) you can reset your PC and use it ~

:scratchhead: :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

When you originally used it (and it worked), what steps did you take to disconnect the drive and/or the drive dock after that first use?

Did you use the "safely remove hardware" function?

If not, it is possible that you damaged the drive dock when disconnecting it.  While generally it is not a problem to disconnect without using that function, there is the potential that USB devices can be damaged if you don't use that function.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

Hi, I presume that the Power adapter is plugged in when you try and use it?

My take on it is that you most likely have a bad docking station if it fails to recognize a hard drive or a SD card. I hope You can test the SD card in your laptop to be sure it is good?

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 Inveryes

Inveryes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

When you originally used it (and it worked), what steps did you take to disconnect the drive and/or the drive dock after that first use?

Did you use the "safely remove hardware" function?

If not, it is possible that you damaged the drive dock when disconnecting it.  While generally it is not a problem to disconnect without using that function, there is the potential that USB devices can be damaged if you don't use that function.

Hi

The manufacturer's instructions were to ensure that the docking station was switched off before disconnection so I didn't use the "safely remove" option, I just used the off switch on the device instead.

Hi, I presume that the Power adapter is plugged in when you try and use it?

My take on it is that you most likely have a bad docking station if it fails to recognize a hard drive or a SD card. I hope You can test the SD card in your laptop to be sure it is good?

Roger

Yes, it's all connected correctly. I think you may be right and I'll have to try for an exchange.

#10 Inveryes

Inveryes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the advice folks, Maplins were happy enough to exchange the docking station and the replacement is working fine.

Problem solved.

Cheers!

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

HI, Thank You for reporting back on the solution to the problem.

When the Manufacturer said

Hi

The manufacturer's instructions were to ensure that the docking station was switched off before disconnection so I didn't use the "safely remove" option, I just used the off switch on the device instead.

My take on that is that they meant switch off the power before disconnecting the Dock or especially before unplugging a hard drive as moving a spinning hard drive could damage the drive. However they meant after safely stopping the device.

Not stopping the device first could cause data loss.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 22 May 2013 - 05:41 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users