Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Enabling/disabling Macros; What's The Deal Here?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 forensicgirl3

forensicgirl3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:10 PM

Hi!

Forgive me if this has been a previous topic here. I did a search but was unable to find anything.

Whenever I jump online, I'm getting a window that asks me if I want to enable or disable "macros."

I recently fired Norton's from my computer and am now using AVG for my virus protection and Ad-Aware for my anti-spyware program.

Suddenly I'm getting these macro alerts.

What are these macros, should you allow or block them, and why is this suddenly an issue for me?

Thanks in advance!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:27 PM

That's strange. Open Microsoft Word and go to Tools -> Macro -> Security and see if the macro level is set to high or medium. Set it to high and see if the warnings disappear.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:22 PM

What application is giving you that message, and exactly when does it happen?
Marcos are mini-programs found in MS spreadsheets and in some Word documents; because they can function, in a way, like an .exe programme, some setting on your computer is asking you whether you wish to allow these to run. If you are careful about what you download in the way of Office files, there should be no reason not to allow these to run.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users