Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PurchaseTemplate - Tablet to replace PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pigman58

Pigman58

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

I have a PC running MS Vista (ugh!). I've had it some years now and am not prepared to keep spending out on getting it fixed. I have a Dell laptop running 7, which I will keep, but am thinking about replacing the PC with a tablet, given that I am doing more travelling and the laptop is both heavy and bulky - it has a 15" screen. I have no techie knowledge whatsoever, thus will appreciate guidance please.

Budget:                  B10,000 / £200 / $300

Primary use:          E-mail, web browsing. Secondary use will be watching videos stored on an external 1TB HD

Software:               Nothing fancy, standard MS Office applications, Chrome / Firefox browser. Do not use Twitter / Facebook

Games:                 No

Lot of Programs Running: Probably not on the tablet

Storage:                No. I store on external HD and store more precious stuff online as well

As I am replacing the PC - which is largely used by Mrs Pigman - I need to be able to attach a PC monitor and a keyboard, the latter wireless / bluetooth if necessary. I  do not understand how this would be done, though I understand I could use an adaptor for the keyboard?

Camera is not important - we have a point & shoot camera already, though potentially of use for Skype.

Connectivity I'd like the fglexibility of both WiFi and 3G  (4G if available in my price bracket).

Screen size I'm thinking 7"  for portability, accepting that clarity will obviously not be as good as on a 10" screen..

GPS would not be used in the car - I have one already - but would be useful when on foot.

I hate Windows as an OS, and am thinking about Android rather than Apple, not least on price.

I am not brand conscious, but am wary of unknown Chinese brands retailing at under $100. I would prefer to pay for quality - I will not be trading in the tablet in as soon as the next model appears; I'm more likely to gift it to a museum in 10 years time! My thinking is Google / Acer Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.

I live in Thailand, thus need something that is widely available, not just in the USA / Europe.

Many thanks.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

If you want to go with an Android tablet, then using it with an external monitor might be a challenge. You should be able to do a BLuetooth keyboard to get an external keyboard.

It will also be tough to access an external USB drive with an Android tablet I believe. I honestly don't know if it is possible at all. You would likely have to go to a network attached drive instead.

FWIW, a Windows RT tablet would do everything you want, however. You might see what Windows RT tablets are available...there is definitely the Surface RT (in the USA at least), but you might find others.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:32 AM

Tough one especially with USB connectivity, best bet is the Surface RT but it's not in your range unfortunately although having one myself, the quality of it is top notch.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users