Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Folder Icons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Merlin's Mom

Merlin's Mom

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:47 PM

Hello--
I was wondering if there is any way to remove the folder icons from folders, well.....
Ok, I have a My Pictures folder, set to "list view" each list item in that folder has a little icon. The same for like My Music folder and any other special folder I have on my desktop.
What I want to know is there any way to remove those little icons next to the items in the list??
I hope this makes sense.
Oh, by the way I have a Dell 4600 running Windows XP Home with SP2.

Thanks.
Laura

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:52 PM

Hello,

There is not a way to completely remove the icons that I know of, but there is a little trick to make it look like they are not there.

1. Right-Click the folder that you wish to hide the icon for.

2. Choose Properties from the menu, and in the pop-up, choose the Customize tab.

3. Near the bottom of the window, click the Change icon tab.

4. In the new pop-up, scroll right until you come to what appears to be three missing icons from the gallery.

5. Click on one of these blank spaces, click OK, then Click Apply back in the Properties window and see if it worked. It should, I use it often myself. If it did work for you, click OK.

Viola`......invisible icon.

Note:
I recommend creating a System Restore Point before doing this, and also take note of the default icons just in case.

Here is a Screen Shot, click to see it full size.

Posted Image

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:

When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 Merlin's Mom

Merlin's Mom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

I'll try it, not sure if that's exactly what I want, but it may do. Thanks alot!! :thumbsup:

oops, sorry that font is so big, didn't realize......

Edited by Merlin's Mom, 12 April 2006 - 02:20 PM.

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:31 PM

Hello,

This trick just makes the icon invisible displaying only the name of the folder.

You can also make custom icons to put in place of the default ones. For example you could make a 5x5px icon that will give you a dot type of effect before the folder name.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:42 PM

You can also change the "View" -

Open Windows Explorer, click on one of the folders then click on "View", and then choose either "list" or "details" instead of "thumbnails" or "icons".

If you want that to be the default in all folders, click on the button to make all folders view the same way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users