Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro won't start, file not found error, stuck at black screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 newuser2013

newuser2013

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

Hello,

my mother has a laptop, DELL Latitude D630, with Windows XP Professional on it.  It used to work fine, but one day gave an error message that the NTDSAPI.dll was not found, and suggested reinstalling the application. After clicking "OK," the screen goes black and the only thing visible is the pointer arrow.

I used another computer to download a copy of the file, and put it on a usb drive. I then rebooted the laptop, hit F12, and booted from the CD, using an Ubuntu CD.  I didn't install Ubuntu, I just had it run from the CD.  I then connected the USB drive, and used Ubuntu to copy the file to C:\Windows\System32

I then restarted the computer, and then got an error message that NCObjAPI.DLL was not found. I repeated the same steps above, rebooted again, and got an error message again that yet another file was missing.

At that point, I decided to try and find another way to fix this, since I had no idea how many more times it would have me replace a file.  Since this laptop was bought awhile back through Ebay, we have no microsoft XP Pro CD, to use the microsoft recovery console.  I found several online, but they all seem to be for Microsoft XP Home. After I download the iso and burn to a CD, using ImgBurn, I try to launch the recovery console on the laptop, but without success. Instead of bringing up a menu to open recovery console, it tries to install windows or something, and eventually gives a pci.sys error. I believe this is because all the iso's I've found are for XP Home, and I need XP Pro.

I don't know what to try next. I read a post somewhere about renaming/moving system restore files, to restore the laptop to an earlier state, and I could probably rename the files using Ubuntu, but I'm not sure that wouldn't mess things up more. As it is, I've used Ubuntu to go back and delete the files I added, in case they were the problem. and now I get the following error messages:

"Services.exe - Unable to Locate Component

This application has failed start because NCObjAPI.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Then, the only option is an "OK" button. After clicking that, a second error message appears:

"lsass.exe - Unable to Locate Component

This application has failed to start because NTDSAPI.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Again, there is only an "OK" button to click, and after that, the screen stays black. The only thing that shows is the pointer arrow, and that can be moved around.

Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

FWIW:  The Recovery Console for XP Home is the same one for XP Pro.

I don't believe the Recovery Console is the cure for whatever is wrong...if system files are missing/corrupted, ti seems to me that you need either recovery disks or a Genuine XP install disk to even attempt running sfc /scannow or doing a repair or clean install.

Louis

#3 newuser2013

newuser2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have a genuine xp install disk or recovery disks, is there a way to download a copy of recovery disks, so that the missing/corrupted files can be installed/replaced? Or is there another way I can go about fixing the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users