Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

I have noticed that there is so much hatred towards the Windows Vista Operating System. I also notice that so many people still like the Windows XP Operating System. And through my experience with Windows XP and Windows Vista, I would take Windows Vista any day. I have never owned a Windows 7 Operating System so Windows 7 is irrelevent to this topic of discussion.

So my two questions are as to why people dislike Windows Vista and why people still use Windows XP.

Thank you.

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JH1

JH1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

IMHO, XP was released many years ago, people just get used to using it. 

Another point is that Vista is relatively difficult to use in comparison to Vista. So people insist using Vista

#3 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

Another point is that Vista is relatively difficult to use in comparison to Vista. So people insist using Vista

Lol, what?

Hulk_Tag.png

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Edit: I decided that this is a better fit in General Chat

Roger

Hi,

1. They have XP and it is paid for

2. XP is solid and reliable

3. Vista was not that good until the service packs were released. Then it was good but the damage was done by then.

4. Nobody is going to install Vista if they have to buy it.

Many people believe that Microsoft releases alternate good and bad

XP Good, Vista Bad, Windows 7 Good, Windows 8 Bad.

I have used every windows version since the Windows 2 days.

In My Opinion they all are OK. Each one is an improvement over the older one.

For example Changing from XP to Vista takes some learning. Going from Vista to Windows 7 is easy.

Cheers

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 18 May 2013 - 09:42 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

Oh okay, so Vista is a great Operating System today but when they first released it, they just had problems with it, especially because of the big change in what it looked like and all the new features. Since Windows 7 is so similar to Windows Vista, it was an easy switch over with not many changes people had to get used to at first and they already mostly fixed all the problems they had before. Sound about right in a nutshell? :P

Edited by Slim Nelson, 18 May 2013 - 09:30 PM.

Hulk_Tag.png

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

I have a few problems with vista. For a OEM machine for a common user, theres nothing wrong with it, to be honest, most average users wont have any issues. However, with custom computers, especially before service pack one, it had a lot of compatibility issues with high end hardware-which is where a lot of the hate came from. After service pack 1 came out, there wasn't as many, but there still were some problems, but in reality, it had already earned a lously reputation.

The second, and my biggest issue with vista, is that its a performance hog, at least when it comes to memory. It uses far more memory then it should, and uses it innefectively. Again, with a common user this isn't an issue-most people won't even notice this, but power users like myself, do. hence why I have issue with it.

I don't mind XP, still use it on a couple of my laptops, but when it comes to performance systems I use 7 ultimate or linux.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

whats the difference between vista and windows 8..not that I have a choice here,my new computer came with windows 8 alkready installed,,the sadist's..i can't figure this thing out to save me....but I was just wondering??

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hi, You might find our Windows 8 tutorials helpful. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8/

This one could be helpful

How to add a Start Menu to Windows 8 using Classic Shell

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

In the past Microsoft's business plan seemed to be based around the idea of "bigger and better". As each OS was released it was generally more stable than the previous version and had more capabilities - I understand that ME may have been an exception. For those that treat their PCs as work tools this is a good reason to upgrade.

Unfortunately, as far as Microsoft was concerned, XP was so successful in those aims that for a lot of people there was no longer a reason to upgrade. Not only was XP unlikely to crash but, by the time that Vista came out, there were so many free utilities to allow you to customise XP that it did everything that was needed and all that Vista seemed to offer was some graphical tweaks, and not everybody lives for eye candy, and DX 10 for gaming.

There were also two customer issues that Microsoft suffered from with XP, namely mass beta testing and specification problems. Anyone who got hold of XP early and had to wait for patches and Service Packs to resolve problems and complete the operating system, as it should have been on release, were probably going to be reluctant to make the same mistake twice. Also, those people who believed the official line and bought systems with 256 Mb RAM and found that there was no way that the minimum RAM was sufficient to use their machines as they expected were probably not going to invest in a Vista system that met minimum specs without user feedback - as I recall Vista was similar to XP in that doubling the minimum memory was necessary to get a workable system.

Then there is the life span of a Microsoft OS, both in terms of the support that is provided and also it no longer being the latest one. Vista was released in 2006 and Windows 7 in 2009. Based on the ease and cost of obtaining replacement parts for a computer, it's life is considered by some to be five years. Anyone who bought a XP machine after 2004 could be reasonably expected to avoid Vista if XP did what was required. The moment that Microsoft announced that there was new OS in production people would try to keep XP going long enough to avoid Vista as there would be years less updates for it.

You can also factor in with the above the increase in processor power and RAM needed with each new version of Windows - the price of bigger and better. Upgrading just the OS was not something that could be done by everyone. For those that needed a major upgrade it was going to involve an investment in a new machine rather than just an installation disk, and if it ain't broke, why replace it.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

#10 corneto_20

corneto_20

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

XP is stable and reliable...

#11 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

In the past Microsoft's business plan seemed to be based around the idea of "bigger and better". As each OS was released it was generally more stable than the previous version and had more capabilities - I understand that ME may have been an exception. For those that treat their PCs as work tools this is a good reason to upgrade.

Unfortunately, as far as Microsoft was concerned, XP was so successful in those aims that for a lot of people there was no longer a reason to upgrade. Not only was XP unlikely to crash but, by the time that Vista came out, there were so many free utilities to allow you to customise XP that it did everything that was needed and all that Vista seemed to offer was some graphical tweaks, and not everybody lives for eye candy, and DX 10 for gaming.

There were also two customer issues that Microsoft suffered from with XP, namely mass beta testing and specification problems. Anyone who got hold of XP early and had to wait for patches and Service Packs to resolve problems and complete the operating system, as it should have been on release, were probably going to be reluctant to make the same mistake twice. Also, those people who believed the official line and bought systems with 256 Mb RAM and found that there was no way that the minimum RAM was sufficient to use their machines as they expected were probably not going to invest in a Vista system that met minimum specs without user feedback - as I recall Vista was similar to XP in that doubling the minimum memory was necessary to get a workable system.

Then there is the life span of a Microsoft OS, both in terms of the support that is provided and also it no longer being the latest one. Vista was released in 2006 and Windows 7 in 2009. Based on the ease and cost of obtaining replacement parts for a computer, it's life is considered by some to be five years. Anyone who bought a XP machine after 2004 could be reasonably expected to avoid Vista if XP did what was required. The moment that Microsoft announced that there was new OS in production people would try to keep XP going long enough to avoid Vista as there would be years less updates for it.

You can also factor in with the above the increase in processor power and RAM needed with each new version of Windows - the price of bigger and better. Upgrading just the OS was not something that could be done by everyone. For those that needed a major upgrade it was going to involve an investment in a new machine rather than just an installation disk, and if it ain't broke, why replace it.

Thank you very much Noviciate.

Hulk_Tag.png

#12 Rana125

Rana125

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

Personally, I have no problem with Vista. It's just that it won't play my Star Wars Podracing game, even if I do run it as the administrator. Then I hate Vista... :flamethrower: :killcomp: :smash:

And it does it for a few more programs too. Eventually, I am able to run the program, but Star Wars remains the only one that will not operate correctly.

Vista did get me through college though, so I am grateful in that aspect. But I would have love to have Windows 7. My printer software released a version for Windows 7 and it looks so much better. All the options are organized into one program window. I don't have to run two or three programs to get what I want done with it (I have a 3-in-one printer). For the Windows Vista software, they kept the same layout that was for XP. Too chaotic.

My parents kept their PC Desktop with XP for the longest time. Their PC had a 256 mb memory too. My Dad wanted to upgrade to Vista, then Windows 7. But I had to keep telling him that their PC wouldn't be able to handle the requirements both OS needed. But Dad wouldn't upgrade the PC because it was working pretty decently. Now, they need a new computer because theirs just died and they are not not the most tech savvy people in the world. I feel going from Windows XP to Windows 8 will scare them away from computers for good. :unsure:

I also prefer Windows 7 to Windows 8. Such a pain to get from tablet mode to desktop in Windows 8... :ranting:

Edited by Rana125, 26 May 2013 - 08:03 PM.

#13 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

I also prefer Windows 7 to Windows 8. Such a pain to get from tablet mode to desktop in Windows 8... :ranting:

Haha, yeah I think that is so stupid. Trying to make a computer into a tablet basically. It's a computer, not a tablet.

Hulk_Tag.png

#14 Rana125

Rana125

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Haha, yeah I think that is so stupid. Trying to make a computer into a tablet basically. It's a computer, not a tablet.

:hug: 

Exactly! Think you can translate that into a language Microsoft could understand? :scratchhead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users