Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Does Not Start Up - Blank Screen, No Errors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 berst21

berst21

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:01 PM

Hi there, this is my first post here:

I have a problem which I dont understand:

When I press the power button on my laptop, the power light comes on, and the hard disk light flashes for a second. The power light however stays on, as does the wifi light.

Then absolutely nothing.

No 'Windows starting' message, no nothing.

I have experienced hard disk crashes before, but normally at least the PC tries to boot from the hard disk and then displays some message, but at present I just get a silent PC and blank screen!

The only way to turn the laptop off is to keep the power button pressed for a few seconds (which used to work earlier if the PC hanged).

The Laptop is an HP Pavilion zt3000, 768 Mb RAM, 40 GB disk, running Win XP Home, bought in Jan '04, and out of warranty.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to diagnose/fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by berst21, 11 April 2006 - 03:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:42 PM

Bad internal connection or bad video card? Does it have an external monitor port that you could plug an external monitor into?

#3 berst21

berst21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:04 AM

Not sure it is a video problem, as the hard disk does not seem to spin...if it was the display, then wouldn't it at least get going...

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:07 AM

Well, if you don't see any information on the screen before the operating system starts to boot, it's either video or something else in the hardware. Even if the hard drive is dead, it should show something from the BIOS. You should have something like a splash screen showing the manufacturer's name, with ESC to view post message or a post message showing the memory and so on. If you don't even see that, it's not booting. This can be caused by almost any piece of hardware failing, such as a CD. If it's the video card, you might be able to bypass it by plugging in an external monitor. If it's the CD/DVD you might be able to bypass it by removing it from the machine, etc.

#5 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:25 AM

If the HD is not spinning, then it is probably dead...sorry. :thumbsup: My HD died last December, so I've been there. Based on my personal experience, Herk is correct; even if the HD is fried, it should still display the BIOS screen.

It could be both the HD and the screen...in which case, you are hosed, my friend.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:44 PM

Or, it could be the bios and/or the motherboard, or the power supply.

Herk is right that if nothing comes on screen before Windows attempts to start it is caused by something else other than the op system.

Do you hear fans running?

Hard shutdowns (like shutting power completely with the power switch) can corrupt Windows and maybe the bios and possibly cause a power surge if pressed repeatedly trying to get the computer to start which could affect the mb, video adapter, etc.

If you have your users manual you can look up and see what you are supposed to press to enter bios setup and try that to see if you can get anything to display on screen. (or you might be able to look it up at the manufacturer's support site).

#7 Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:05 AM

I dont know if you got around to solving the problem with the laptop but incase not, then here is something that is worth checking.
I had a friend with the same problem and i finaly came around it by changing the Bios battery.Normaly there is a small battery on the motherboard and that is what keeps the bios from loosing it's configuration when the computer is swithced off.(it's a button size 3 volts battery and it's located on the underside of the computer,It's quite a bit of tough getting to it and especialy if you are not very good at opening a laptop, then let and expert do it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users