Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure if I need to replace my hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jade Knight

Jade Knight

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'm posting here because I haven't pin pointed the issue in my laptop yet, I think it might be the hard drive but I don't know for sure.

I have a Acer Aspire 7551 laptop. It was working fine until one day it would begin to freeze. Not just hang but freeze to where it would need a hard reboot. It wouldn't do this often and then one day it would do this every few minutes. 

It got so bad that I restored the system because I thought it was an OS problem, after the reinstall of windows it would still freeze up completely at random times.

I have tried a chkdsk and found nothing wrong, I have used Crystal Disk, RAM test, and have found nothing at all.

After running chkdsk, the system will now not boot. It gets to the black screen where everything is listed out (the device list), goes to the next screen where it stops on a black screen for about 2 minutes and then goes no where. Goes back to reboot on it's own again.

I would really like this get this laptop fixed but I have no clue what is going on. I have cleaned out the air vents, I have not took off the entire back panel to clean it out (I used an air can on the vents). The fan on the back working, so I don't think it's that?

Help please. I am on the verge of taking it to a custom repair shop and paying over 100 dollars just so I can have this laptop back. 

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

If you have a "Floppy Drive" you could run TESTHDD on it.

#3 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hi and a welcome to Bleeping.

It does indeed look like the hard drive has failed, though you performed a chkdsk, this only checks the disk or disks and the data on them, it cannot check the mechanical drive of the disk or the same for the read head.

However before we condemn the hard drive entirely, have you had a look in the BIOS, and also have you tried starting in safe mode?

To see if it can start in safe mode, from first pushing the start button keep tapping the F8 key, it should open the advanced boot options page, use the up and down keys to select safe mode and hit the enter key, let us know if it will get that far first.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#4 jamiep87

jamiep87

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

Does that laptop have onboard diagnostics? usually when you turn the laptop on it will ask to press a key to enter the diagnostics. That will tell you if its bad for sure.

#5 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Hi and a welcome to Bleeping.

It does indeed look like the hard drive has failed, though you performed a chkdsk, this only checks the disk or disks and the data on them, it cannot check the mechanical drive of the disk or the same for the read head.

However before we condemn the hard drive entirely, have you had a look in the BIOS, and also have you tried starting in safe mode?

To see if it can start in safe mode, from first pushing the start button keep tapping the F8 key, it should open the advanced boot options page, use the up and down keys to select safe mode and hit the enter key, let us know if it will get that far first.

Nev.

I've tried booting into safe mode but even pressing that it won't go into it, it just blanks out then starts the rebooting process again.

Does that laptop have onboard diagnostics? usually when you turn the laptop on it will ask to press a key to enter the diagnostics. That will tell you if its bad for sure.

Like the F2 Setup? Or is this something else? Other than that I don't think it does :S.

#6 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

back up your data while you can.

you don't say what OS you're using, if it's microsoft, you may benefit from macrium reflect.  it captures an image of your hard drive for later restore.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Hi

Acer usually don't have any built in diagnostics tools like in HP and Dell. From what you described it looks like a hardware issue than a OS problem. SO we first need to verify the health condition of your RAM and HDD. Do the below steps.

1 ) Best way to check RAM is to swap it with another good one. If you don't have one, check if there is more than one RAM stick in the laptop. Remove one pfthem and try to boot with only one RAM plugged. If fails, repeat with the other.

2 ) To diagnose the HDD, we can use manufacturers tools. I suggest running a "Long test" with Seagate Seatool to check if there are any bad sectors in the surface.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Report the result of scanning in next reply.

#8 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

I apologize that I haven't kept up with this topic as I should have, but I did try with the original thought on what the problem was. I ended up replacing the hard drive since we had deduced after checking everything else it could be the culprit, but I've gotten different results. It runs much better (1 TB than 500 GB), and I was able to use it for at least a couple hours after I first installed it no problem. After that though it froze twice and I stopped using it that day. I took it to class and it did freeze around 4 times or so, but since then I've actually had not near as many freezes anymore. It froze once yesterday but it never did after that. Now here's what I'm trying to find out:

To answer your questions: it's Windows 8 now, was 7 originally. I have run the ramtest86 (I think it was called that or something similar), it came out fine. As to the hard drive, since I replaced it with another one (from BD to SeaGate), should I still test it?

I'll attempt to do the RAM check, I've got some time before I can return this hard drive if it wasn't the case originally so I'm trying to find the problem before then.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

Hi

Do you have more than one RAM module in the system ?. Unplug one module and  check the system. If you don't have two modules, use Memtest86+.  Follow the below instructions to properly test your RAM with Memtest.

Part 1: Preparing the Media

1. Download the latest version of the "Precompiled Boot ISO (.zip) from this link: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

You want the "Precompiled Boot ISO (.zip)".

2. Open the .zip file you downloaded, and then drag the .ISO file inside onto the Desktop.

3. Right-click on the ISO, and select Open with>Windows Disc Image Burner.
92278d1282320186t-ram-test-memtest86-ope
4. Insert a blank CD into the CD drive, and make sure the correct Disc burner is selected.
92279d1282320225t-ram-test-memtest86-abt
5. Click on "Burn". 

Now the CD is ready to use.

Part 2: Testing

1. With the CD in the drive, or the USB key inserted, reboot your computer. If Memtest does not automatically boot, go into the BIOS and change the CD drive or USB drive to be the first to boot.

2. Memtest will immediately start testing as soon as it boots. No attendance is needed.

3. Let it run until at least 7 passes  are completed, or errors are found (whichever comes first). The longer you run it, the better. (more than 7 is recommended)

92282d1282320804t-ram-test-memtest86-cap

Seven passes will take several hours, depending on your amount of RAM. It is advised to leave it running overnight.

Post the result in next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 01 June 2013 - 01:57 AM.

#10 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

I attempted to use one RAM stick at a time like you suggested, but even after removing one then switching it out to the other it's still doing the same thing :/. Also it seems I had to return the hard drive earlier than expected, so I'm going back to my original WD 500 GB and clean installing Win7 onto it (it's stuck in a bootloop for some reason).

#11 BorgDan

BorgDan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hello, is there any chance to test this HDD in another PC, or get 100% working hdd and plug to your laptop?

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hi

Yes, you can test the HDD on another PC. You don't need another laptop to check it. Since the hard disk is a SATA one, you can plug it to a standard Desktop PC without any problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users