Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Swanheart

Swanheart

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:41 PM

Today when I came back from class I went to check my e-mail; normal routine. But whenever I try to open Firefox, it never opens, and I can't do anything else afterward (It literally took minutes for my task manager to come up, and even then, it wasn't working.) Everything suddenly clogs up and I have to restart, and then it boots up normally.

I'm using IE right now, and everything else is working fine. My spware spans came clean, and Stinger didn't pick up anything. I'm on a T1, and IE is acting normal. So long as I don't try to run Firefox, I don't seem to have a problem. But I prefer to use Firefox over IE, and I'd like to get it running again ASAP.

Help would be eternally appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:59 PM

If it's just Firefox causing problems, I'd suggest a simple reinstall.
Delete Firefox using Add/Remove.
Go to C: / Program Files, and delete the Mozilla Firefox folder.
Now reinstall Firefox.

If a simple reinstall doesn't work, you can do a clean uninstall.

Note: You will have to go back and redo all of your personal settings (Options), as deleting the Profile folder will erase everything Firefox related.
You will be starting with a clean slate.

To completely uninstall Firefox, you will need to delete your Profile folder.
This file is not removed when you uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove.
It will retain all of your previous settings, and re-apply them to your new install, if it's not deleted.
That's why, when you install a new version of Firefox, your previous settings, bookmarks, passwords, etc., all remain the same.
For a Fresh (start from scratch) install, this folder has to be removed.

You might want to make a copy of the Bookmark.html file, before you uninstall, and save it to somewhere you'll be able to find it.
This is where all of your Bookmarks are stored.
Set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ user name \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ default.random characters \ Bookmark.html
And make a copy of the Bookmark.html file

Then you can replace, the new one created, with the old one, you copied.
After you install Firefox, delete Bookmark.html, and replace it with your saved copy of Bookmark.html.
That way, you'll have all of your Bookmarks back.

Now for the uninstall.
Uninstall your current version of Firefox from Add/Remove programs.
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles
Delete the Profiles folder (or send it to the Recycle Bin as a backup).
Then navigate to:
C: \ Program Files \ Mozilla Firefox, and delete that folder.
Then reinstall Firefox.

Don't forget to replace your Bookmark.html file.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:17 PM

All right that seems to have worked. I'm back in Firefox again!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:32 PM

You're welcome, Swanheart.
Glad to hear, you got it fixed.
Thanks for posting back, and letting us know. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users