Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus for Win98SE

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

What, if any, antivirus program still works with Win98SE ?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 95/98/ME to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

The only one I was able to find is a paid for, previously unknown to me A-V. http://www.srnmicro.com/products/

Solo Antivirus. I have zero experience with this product. Proceed with caution.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 JHMcG

JHMcG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

Thanks, when I get "SUPERPUPPY 2" sorted out, I will check that out.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:17 AM

Not many support it any more these days -

ClamWin claim to have free Antivirus for Win98 - Softronic download - Or Direct download
From Broni, Avast 4.8 should work:> Link >  Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1368, but later editions will not run -

Good Luck -

#5 JHMcG

JHMcG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

Thanks again.  Right now I am working on getting my 16 partitions checked for errors and defragged. Then comes ghost Images of the more important ones. Another question I have about Win98-SE is how and where can I find a driver to support using USB Flash Sticks ? Right now if I plug one in it shows up in device manager as nothaving a driver.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,957 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

This seems to be the best chance for 98SE USB mass storage support:

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98se-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php

Not everybody reports success - I think it depends on how "standard" the USB is on a particular motherboard.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 JHMcG

JHMcG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

Thanks again. SUPERPUPPY 2 is an ASUS P5A-B machine with a K6-3+ 450 ACZ overclocked to 550 MHz. Do you think they will have a suitable driver for something that antique ?

Edited by JHMcG, 19 May 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,957 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

There's just the one generic driver, so it will either work for you or not - if you try it and it's not successful, you could experiment with going back to spec CPU speed (just to see if that's what stops it from working) as overclocking on older boards can throw timings out and affect things like USB. I can't say whether the driver is more or less likely to work OK with the ALi Aladdin V chipset on that board.

Edited by Platypus, 19 May 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#9 JHMcG

JHMcG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

And thanks to "Aussie Addict" I downloaded and installed Avast 4.8, and it is working on "SUPERPUPPY 2"

And thanks to Platypus I can now use USB Flash Sticks in SUPERPUPPY 2.

This antique machine is gradually becoming usefull once again. Don't find too many 550 - 618 MHz "AT" machines still running these days, especially with 2x 40 Gig internal HDDs, and 1x 80 Gig HDD in a Hot Swap Tray, with all HDDs having cooling systems which take air from inside the machine, blow it accross the HDDs, then OUT of the machine by way of ducts. While incoming air from the front chassis fan has to pass through another one of my custom made "Dust Filters"  CPU runs at 35 to 43 degrees C, and mobo at a couple degrees cooler

Edited by JHMcG, 20 May 2013 - 12:15 AM.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,957 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:47 AM

:thumbsup:  Sounds good! I didn't get to overclock a K6-3, but I did take an original K6-233 to 250MHz with a 2.5x clock on a 100MHz Super Socket 7 rather than the spec 66MHz FSB. That went well, with the extra memory speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users