Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex GX 280 w/XP Won't Start Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kronological

kronological

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

I am having a problem with my Dell Computer listed above.  For about a year now, the exhaust fan would speed up until it sounded like it was about to lift off the ground!  I cleaned the cooling system, added thermo paste, and that would seem to take care of it for awhile, but would eventually return to speeding up again.

Now, as soon as I turn on the computer, the usual green power button is now yellow, and the cooling fan is immediately spinning on high.  I tried turning it off and rebooting, and it would boot up about every 10 times or so...but now it never does.  The power button on the monitor never turns green, and the computer never boots up.

Oh...I also removed an ATI video card that I thought might be defective as it would occassionally sieze up when watching video...but the speeding fan issue existed before graphics card was installed...so not sure if this contributed to overall problem or not.

I have tried cleaning it again, unplugging it and also tried booting it from the Windows XP disc (pushing F8 or esc.), and that didn't work at all either.

Computer info:

Dell Optiplex GX 280

Windows XP (SP2...I think)

1.5 Gig RAM

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by hamluis, 19 May 2013 - 08:42 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Hi

I guess you are getting "amber" color in the power indication LED. According to the Dell user guide, it indicates a power problem. It could be either your SMPS is faulty or a problem in the Motherboard power circuits.

Here is the user guide and service manual of your model :  ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-gx280_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

Refer page 265 of the manual to know what the codes means.

If the power light is amber and green or steady amber  — A device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.

- Remove and then reinstall the memory modules.
- Remove and then reinstall any cards.
- Remove and then reinstall the graphics card, if applicable.

If the power light is blinking amber  —

- The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.
 - Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable).
 - Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board.

Before doing any other trouble shooting steps, look for any swollen or bulged capacitors in the motherboard like the ones in the below image.

dellcaps.jpg

image004.png

A blinking or steady amber light means either the SMPS or the motherboard is faulty. Reports from net indicates most likely a motherboard issue. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 18 May 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#3 kronological

kronological
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

For some reason I couldn't open the Dell pdf.

I tried unplugging and replugging all memory and power plugs. Also visually checked capacitors and they seem fine. Also replaced 2032 button battery on mother board for grins. Odd thing was that the amber power button blinked first time I turned it on his time. I turned it off and back on again and got the solid amber with fast fan as before.

When you say SMPS... are you referring to the power supply? If so...wonder if swapping that out with an old power supply might be possible?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hi

Make sure to install the latest version of adobe reader installed in the system. I use Google Chrome and the pdf open in it fine.

Do the following steps.

-Disconnect HDD. DVD, everything connected to the USB and if any add on PCI cards.

-If still not working, try the spare power supply

- if still not working, remove and reinsert the CPU

-If you have a spare RAM module, try it also

If nothing helps, it can be a Motherboard issue. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 18 May 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#5 kronological

kronological
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

I pulled all plugs to all hardware and it didn't help. Removed processor and got a green power button...but computer froze and would never get past initial windows loading page. Guess I'll try swapping power supplies tomorrow. Thanks again for your help, Anshad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users