Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Don't have permission to do stuff on my own computer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blueade7

blueade7

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:15 AM

Hi,

I am running windows 7 on my own personal laptop. Recently I've noticed that certain actions are denied (requiring admin rights)... but I am the only admin user on the PC (confirmed when I look in user accounts) so I don't understand this.

For e.g. when I try uninstalling dropbox I get the following message:

"Dropbox was previously installed by an administrator; upgrading requires administrator rights"

Or I just tried deleting a directory from within Matlab and got a similar message.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sanddancer55

Sanddancer55

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

Right click the program, and click Run as Administrator.  That's what I do.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

You can disable the User Account Control so that this doesn't happen.

Open the Control Panel, click on User Accounts, click on Change User Account Control settings.

You will see an image like the one below, move the slide control to Never Notify and click on OK.

useraccount_zps1d0b0c13.png

This is a security feature which keeps others from making unwanted changes to your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 FredFrogley

FredFrogley

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

"This is a security feature which keeps others from making unwanted changes to your computer."

Would be interested to know how a person who logs in to a computer as an administrator becomes one of those "others" that you mention. I would have thought it was quite difficult to be what you are and what you aren't at one and the same time, or is Bill Gates some kind of shapeshifter?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

Since Windows 2000 when you log in to an account, you really are not a true administrator.  True administrator account is one denoted by UID 500, all other accounts are limited as to what they can do.  You can determine your uid by looking under the registry under hkey\current_users\string of numbers_1000 will be the first user that is limited.  UAC since Vista is a way to temporarily elevate user privileges to perform certain tasks on the computer.

#6 FredFrogley

FredFrogley

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

Since Windows 2000 when you log in to an account, you really are not a true administrator.  True administrator account is one denoted by UID 500, all other accounts are limited as to what they can do.  You can determine your uid by looking under the registry under hkey\current_users\string of numbers_1000 will be the first user that is limited.  UAC since Vista is a way to temporarily elevate user privileges to perform certain tasks on the computer.

Aaah! So Bill Gates is a shapeshifter!

#7 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

This feature is also to help prevent people who do not know what they are doing from deleting critical files, or making changes that would be detrimental to the computers operation. By removing this prompt you are telling the system to ignore those safeguards.

Even though you may know what you are doing, or what you are trying to do, there are a lot of people who dont.  My grandmother for example has no clue how to even uninstall a program properly. So if she found the file with the name of the program she wanted to uninstall, she would delete it.  Leaving many parts of the program still integrated into her system without the proper files to reference, where having this protection helps prevent her from doing just that.

It is not a perfect system, but it is an attempt at retaining system integrity.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#8 higginbotham

higginbotham

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:23 AM

open the command prompt: search for cmd.exe, right click on it, choose “Run as administrator”

type

net user administrator /active:yes

go to - control pannel - user acounts- manage another acount - click on administrator - click change password - enter a password (don't forget it)

you can now uninstall dropbox

Edited by higginbotham, 29 May 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

higginbotham,  this topic has been idle for eight months.  

The command you are suggesting will make the default Administrator visible.  It is made invisible for good reason.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users