Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer kept rebooting... so....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hedwig1337

Hedwig1337

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

Ok I came home from work and my computer was in the middle of a reboot, I found this odd. I proceeded to wait and see what happened, perhaps updates or something but then instead of going to my log in screen it just went and rebooted again. This kept happening. I went inside the computer... cleaned out some dust (that was due and was going to be a long weekend job this weekend) checked connections and what have you. Then I tried turning it on. Still was doing it. Again I took the side off and once again double checked connections. Everything seemed alright and finally the computer was able to boot. However it was EXTREMELY slow. So here are my current tech specs from the system properties:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit OS

Intel Dual CPU E2140 1.6GHz

4.0GB of RAM

The problems I have narrowed it down to are possible HDD failure which would of course require me to getting a new HDD. Could be a power supply issue, though highly unlikely just since I have been considering upgrading it I thought I would mention that. RAM too low is another thing I considered, its been 4GB for a while. And finally perhaps it could be a processor/motherboard issue.

Oh, and for the record I also have 2 HDD's one is a 600GB and the other is a 250GB. The 600GB one is the one I believe is failing... Not 100% sure, but both are Western Digital HDD's not sure much beyond that as at the moment I don't wish to shut down computer now that it is operating, albeit a lot slower.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Charles007

Chris Charles007

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:20 AM

Hi Hedwig,

Have you checked your CPU Temperature. A overheated CPU also causes reboots.

Chris

Regards,
Chris
tokeepmypcup.com

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

Hi Hedwig1337

:welcome: to Bleeping Community

Things you could try :

1. Western Digital diagnostic tool for DOS.

2. Using the last known good configuration.

3. Use system restore to an earlier date.

Tekken

#4 Hedwig1337

Hedwig1337
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for the welcome...

So CPU Temp is good... was between 33 and 43 Celsius for the CPU and the System and I am sure that is very good as I believe some people have said they run in the 50's and 60's

As for the 3 suggestions from jhayz the last 2 are no go's for fixing. Will have to look at the Diagonstic tool for the Western Digital thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users