Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retrieving an uninstalled program

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Roseberry

Roseberry

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

I am still learning how my computer works and I'm having trouble retrieving one program I accidentally uninstalled. I don't understand how to save what I need after I use the system restore. The instructions don't elaborate on the save part and the program is necessary to make another program work. Any suggestions that might help me? Thank you so very much!

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8  to the appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 May 2013 - 08:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

was the program included with the computer when you purchased it?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Roseberry

Roseberry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:23 AM

I don't know for sure. I inherited this used computer from a cousin. This one is a 2004 model. 

Quicktime player 7.7.3 is installed, along with Apple application support version 2.3, and Apple

Software Update. I inadvertently uninstalled the Apple application support version 2.3. Now

Quicktime will not work. I contacted Apple Care and the man I spoke with told me I needed

to talk to the iphone department. 

I attempted to use system restore to retrieve the program from an earlier date this past week

only I don't know how to save the program so I can re-install it. The instructions all say to

save whatever changes so when system restore is complete you will have them. 

Thank you for your kind response. If you have any suggestions that might help me

in this matter they will be very much appreciated.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

You mention that it is an older computer. In your profile you have Microsoft Windows XP professional listed as the operating system.

Since you posted in the Windows 8 forum I have to ask which one are you using-XP or Windows 8? 

My feeling is that since it is an older computer it's XP, but want to make sure. If it is XP your post can be moved to the XP forum.

When using system restore you don't save anything. All you need to do is choose the date/time you want to restore the system to and follow the prompts. If the restore is successful your computer will revert back to the way it was at that time. Hopefully Application Support will be restored.

Your other option is to NOT do a system restore. Instead, uninstall Quicktime and reinstall. You can also uninstall Apple Software Update.

A reinstall of Quicktime will also install Application Support and Software Update.

You might want to read this tutorial about System Restore http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

It explains what it is, what it does, and how to use it. Since you want to go back to a previous date, you will not have to create a restore point.

Follow the directions under Restoring Windows XP to a previous State (assuming you have XP. The process is the same for other versions of Windows)

It has been awhile since I've used XP so I hope this is correct. If you know when you removed the program look to see if that date is in bold and click on it.

If you decide to use System Restore here is something that could make it easier for you. Restore points will be on days that are in bold. If the date is in bold, choose the date.  Next look to the right to see what is listed. You should see something to the effect that Apple Support was uninstalled. If you do, choose that as your restore point. Follow the prompts. Your computer will reboot and once again if successful the program should be restored. You can look in Add Remove programs-if restored it will be there.

If you don't know the exact date look at some of the bolded dates to see if it is listed.

It sounds complicated but it is not. After you use it for the first time it's one of those "wow, that was easy" things.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 May 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#5 Roseberry

Roseberry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

I'm a little mixed up about Windows. I am certain it is XP. I have Internet Explorer 8. I don't know

about Windows 8 though, maybe I'm confusing IE 8 with it.

I'm appreciative of your response and I plan to first try uninstalling and re-installing Quicktime.

I had virus problems the days following the accidental uninstall of Apple application support 2.3.

I'll let you know if the Quicktime plan works.

Many thanks,

Roseberry

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

If you have Internet Explorer 8 you are not using Windows 8, which does not (as far as I know) support IE8.

You said that you are still trying to learn how your computer works. We were all new to this stuff at one time.  If you don't understand something all you have to do is ask and we will do our best to help you.

About that virus: Did you get rid of it? If so, how? We do have people who can help you determine if it is gone if you have any doubts.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 May 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#7 Roseberry

Roseberry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

Thank you all for your kind responses and assistance.

I uninstalled then re-installed QuickTime 7.7.3. To test

I brought up my voice mail online and tried to play the

message. A pop-up stated I also needed Quicktime 7 plug-in.

I installed that and went back to my voice mail and finally

heard the message.

To find the virus I started the Malwarebytes and let it run. It

took 45 minutes. Presented a list of 25 items that had malware.

I clicked the fix button and waited. I did save the list of items.

I just don't know how to get to it again. Guess I'd have to

run the program again. Later that day I also ran a free 60 second

scan, bitdefender. Recommended by Kim Komando. It stated

there were no problems. I used the computer for a little while. Shut

it down so I could run the Spybot program. That ran for about 40 minutes.

It had a list of stuff I didn't know about on my computer...so I clicked the

button to fix. So far, so good now.

Thanks again for your suggestions, directions, and help.

I will refer to this group as needed, and I'm so glad it is here.

Have a blessed day and stay positive! 

Roseberry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users