Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old PC new Disk Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 inneedofhelpnow

inneedofhelpnow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Right so I have this good desktop thats old so now its only a so-so PC, anyway, the disk drive gave out, and so I bought a new one, only thing is the new one only has a SATA data port in the back, and my mother board has this wide flat gray cable that whent into the old disk drive, I looked online and was told that I could just plug the new one in to that HD sata ports, Did that, not working, Im at a loss, Is it posible for that to work or do i need so kind of converter? if so whats it called and where would I find one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Manufacturer and system model?

If self-built...motherboard manufacturer and model?

Manufaccturer and model for new optical drive?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 May 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#3 inneedofhelpnow

inneedofhelpnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Motherboard is gigabyte ga-ep43-ds3l

and the Disk Drive is an Asus DRW-24B1ST

The PC is self is quite custom I bought it off its builder and original owner a few years ago. It has 6gb ram and a Q6600 core.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

Looking at this image, which according to Gigabyte is an image of your motherboard -

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2847

At the bottom left, in a vertical orientation is a green connector. It is difficult to be certain from the image because it doesn't blow up, but I believe that is the IDE connector you have been using for your old hard drive. Immediately to the right of this green connector, at its lower end, there are six small orange/yellow connectors - these are SATA connectors. Connect your SATA hard drive to one of these using a SATA cable. They are usually numbered SATA 1 to, in this case, SATA 6. Use the No. 1 socket. You will also need a SATA power connector for the hard drive.

If your power supply does not have a spare SATA power connector on the wiring harness, power adapters are readily available and fairly cheap.

If you are going to use this hard drive as a replacement for your older one, you will have to re-install your operating system and your motherboard software on it, as well as all your applications. Your own data you can always copy across later, either by slaving the old hard drive and just copying the data or by backing up your data to some other medium - an external drive, DVDs, whatever - before you remove it.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 inneedofhelpnow

inneedofhelpnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

Uuuu ok well actuly the CD drive has ben pluged into the green plug you where talking about, and uuu there are already 3 hard drives pluged in, this is an issue for me as the 3 sata cables are all zipp tied togther rather tightly and I dont know if i even can plug the #1 slot (Technicly its the #0 slot I just checked my motherboard) also I dont know which drive has my OS on it. So.... Uuuuuu ya, Any help on getting a CD drive to work through a Sata plug that it was never intened for would be great.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

I looked online and was told that I could just plug the new one in to that HD sata ports, Did that, not working

Can you please confirm that you have the new DVD drive connected to both a SATA power cable from the PSU, and one of the previously unused mainboard SATA ports?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 inneedofhelpnow

inneedofhelpnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

That is correct, Any help guys?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

OK, "not working" doesn't give us a lot to go on, so a few thoughts:

Will the drive drawer open, if so does it spin when closed with a disk? If the drive does nothing whatever, is it known to function otherwise? eg in another system?

If it opens but doesn't seem to read a disc or show in Computer, does an optical drive appear in Device Manager? If not, then all of the SATA ports may not be enabled in the BIOS setup. Or more rare, the SATA ports may distinguish between HDDs and optical drives by requiring specific selection, for the port being used, of Optical as a drive type in the BIOS, or only specific ports may function with an optical drive.

Also, I'm not clear what you mean when you say "getting a CD drive to work through a Sata plug that it was never intended for" - if it's a SATA drive it is intended to operate via a SATA plug.

Edited by Platypus, 20 May 2013 - 10:19 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users