Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot to see c: drive. Please help.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Konadan

Konadan

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

I have hp zx5000 lap top.  2 gig of ram. XP os

- can't boot into c: or win

- No Beeps

- can't get into Safe mode

The only thing I can get into is the Bios.  From there I was able to run HD diagnostics (residing in Bios) that said my HD was OK.

I re-seated the Ram, but no luck. 

I created a start up disk, but that didn't work.

Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

1) EXACTLY what happens when you boot the system?

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Is your Hard Drive seated correctly with the IDE cable?  Is the drive recognized in Bios.. if it is select the boot option to boot to the HDD first.

#4 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

When I boot, it goes to a HP splash screen, and then to a blank screen. No beeps. From the HP splash screen, I can hit F10 and get into the Bios.  From the Bios, I can I see the HDD.  I am able to test the HDD, and it tests good.  I also see the Ram. The HDD is first in boot order, but it still doesn't boot.

Nothing is new or different since the last time it worked properly. Do you think the CPU is toast?

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

Hi

From the description you provided, it looks like your OS got corrupted. Our first step is to boot either from a XP CD or from a  XP Recovery Console CD and run some repair commands. 

If you got a HP OEM XP CD with your laptop you can use that. If you don't have a XP CD, you can use a "Recovery Console CD" instead. Follow the instructions in the below link to create a XP recovery console CD.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=242982

After you obtain either XP install disk or recovery console disk, follow the below steps.

To start the Recovery Console directly from the  CD you would do the following:

1. Insert the Windows XP cd or recovery console CD in your computer.

2. Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD. (change the boot order in BIOS - f10)

3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

4. The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type1 and press enter.

5. It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter. If you do not know your password then see this.

6. If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

7. Now enter CHKDSK C: /R in the command prompt to run check disk.

8. After check disk finished, enter the following commands one after another - Fixmbr and Fixboot . Press to confirm when         it asks for permission.

If the system still refuses to boot, press F8 during startup untill you see "Advanced startup options" menu. From there select "Safe mode" and press enter to boot. Check if the system boot fine in safe mode.

The below video will make you clear how to use recovery console.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 20 May 2013 - 01:25 AM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

When you say you see a blank screen, do you mean a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left corner or do you mean something else? Do you have an XP CD? If so, I'd suggest we probably want to do a repair installation.

#7 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

no flashing cursor.  Created a Recovery Console CD, changed the boot order, but still couldn't get it to boot.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Hi

How did you burn the recovery console CD ?. You should use "Image to disc" option in the writing program. Easy way is to use the Imgburn

http://www.imgburn.com/?act=download

Video tut :

Also you should make sure CD drive is set as the first boot device in BIOS. You can access BIOS by pressing F10 during power on. Boot order settings usually located under "advanced" tab. 

Most of the HP systems also supports changing boot order by pressing F9 during power on. You can also try that.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00750524&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&jumpid=re_r163_eolproducts_psg_mar2011_zx5000_support_top&lc=en&man_lang=ar&product=385151&sw_lang=sv&swlinkmsg=100

#9 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

I used the BurnCDCC program. It's part of the above ARCDC ( Automatic Recovery CD Creator ) from Artellos.com

It said it is used to burn an image to disk. I burned it to a CD and a DVD, none work. I also have the cd drive as the first drive.

Edited by Konadan, 20 May 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

Hi

Did you get the "press any key to boot from CD" ?

Did your system supports boot from USB drive ? . You can check it by plugging a USB pen drive while powering on. If the system supports USB booting you will see it in the F12 boot menu as an option. Then we can make a bootable USB drive and stop wasting CD.

#11 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Didn't get "press any key to boot from CD."  I always get "press F12 to boot from Lan", ESC to change boot order," and "press F10 to enter Setup" on the HP splash screen.  It doesn't change when I plug in the USB pen drive, but the pen drive lite flashes.

I just hit ESC and I got "SMART failure predicted on Hard Drive, back up your data ASAP. Press F1 to continue."  I pressed F1 and it booted into Win Desktop.  I restarted it again, but I had to press ESC to boot.  Looks like I need a new HDD.  But why won't it boot from the CD-ROM?  Maybe that's bad also?

Edited by Konadan, 20 May 2013 - 11:59 PM.

#12 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

I just tested the CD-ROM, while I was in Win Desktop, and it read DVDs and CDS.

Edited by Konadan, 21 May 2013 - 12:32 AM.

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:08 AM

Hi

You can change the boot order by pressing "Esc" during startup - not F12. From the boot menu select CD drive using arrow key and press enter to boot from CD. In some other HP models it is the F9 key that changes boot order.

As you are getting SMART failure message, testing HDD is not necessary. Your HDD is definitely bad and it need to be replaced as i suspected. SMART is a built in feature in modern hard drive which monitors HDD internal functions and warn the user when critical error occurs.  To know more about SMART read the below link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

1) The reason it will not boot from the cd is due to one of three factors: It is not the first device in the bios boot order or the cd is not bootable or the cd drive is bad. When you change the boot order in bios are you chooseing "save changes & exit"?

2) I agree that the smart failure message would indicate a failing hard drive. Nothing to mess with - save your data and replace the drive.

#15 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for your help Anshad and Allan.  I need some help in understanding the boot process in my HP laptop.  I went into Bios, via F10, and saved changes to the boot order. Apparently they didn't take, even though I went back into Bios and saw the changes I had made.

Anshad, are you saying that ESC funtion is the only way to change boot order?  When I went into the ESC funtion, I only saw the SMART message; not a boot order option; perhaps because of the SMART message. If SMART detected the HDD was failing, and I persume prevented booting up to the HDD, why didn't the laptop default to the DVD/CD (the next device in the Boot process)?

Edited by Konadan, 21 May 2013 - 04:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users