Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo
- - - - -

Using an SD card as permanent storage

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Using an SD card as permanent storage

Why?

If you've just bought yourself a shiny new Windows tablet, you may find that you want to use an SD card to expand the on-board storage. However, you've probably found that you can't just add the files on your SD card into your libraries - which is a pain.

How?

Before we start: if you have any files on your SD move them now. This process will delete any files currently on your SD card.
  • Firstly, we need to format your SD card to NTFS.
    • Open "Computer"
    • Right click (or long tap) on your removable drive and choose "Format..."
    • Choose "NTFS" from the "File System" drop down menu and click "Start"
    • Accept the warning
    • Open the SD card, through "Computer", and create four new folders: "Documents", "Music", "Pictures" and "Videos".
  • Now, we're going to create a mount point
    • Open "Computer"
    • Navigate to your "C:" drive (or primary drive where Windows is installed).
    • Create a new folder and call it "SD card".
  • Now for the fun part. We're going to mount the SD card into the folder we've just created and then "fool" Windows into adding the SD into the libraries.
    • On the start screen, search for "Disk Management" - it is listed under "settings" as "Create and format hard disk partitions".
    • Find your removal disk - it will be listed as "Removable". You can check the drive letter and the storage space to ensure that you've got the correct disk.
    • Right click (long press) on the SD card and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
    • Click Add
    • Ensure "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder" is selected and then click "Browse"
    • Navigate to "C:\SD card" and select the folder. Click "OK".
  • Now let's add the SD card to the libraries
    • Open Libraries
    • Click on "Documents"
    • At the top of the window, click "Manage"
    • Click "Manage library"
    • You'll now see a window called "Documents Library Locations", click on "Add"
    • Navigate to "C:\SD card", then click on the "Documents" folder you created and click "Include folder".
    • Optional: you can also set the SD card to be the default location to save stuff. Just right click (long tap) on the folder you've just added and then click "Set a default save location".
    • Repeat the process for the other libraries
Result

Your libraries now include your SD card! Yay! So you can now save things like those albums on photos on your SD card rather than on your tablet to save that precious space.

Remember - if you remove the SD card, you'll break the link, but it will be saved for when you next insert the card.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users