Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Antivirus and Firewall

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Antivirus and Firewall (47 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the best antivirus?

1. Avast! (12 votes [25.53%])

Percentage of vote: 25.53%

2. AVG (5 votes [10.64%])

Percentage of vote: 10.64%

3. Trend Micro (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Norton (2 votes [4.26%])

Percentage of vote: 4.26%

5. McAfee (1 votes [2.13%])

Percentage of vote: 2.13%

6. COMODO Internet Security (5 votes [10.64%])

7. Microsoft Security Essentials (5 votes [10.64%])

8. ESET (7 votes [14.89%])

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

9. Kaspersky (6 votes [12.77%])

Percentage of vote: 12.77%

10. BitDefender (4 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

What is the best firewall?

1. COMODO (27 votes [57.45%])

Percentage of vote: 57.45%

2. Outpost (3 votes [6.38%])

Percentage of vote: 6.38%

3. Zonealarm (7 votes [14.89%])

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

4. Private Firewall (4 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

5. Tiny Firewall (3 votes [6.38%])

6. Online Armour (3 votes [6.38%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Deleted

Deleted

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

Please take the poll. Feel free to post suggestions here. :)

Edited by Deleted, 17 May 2013 - 01:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

Like I have said many many times. Due to unique configurations and individual needs there is no 'best' Anti-Virus or Firewall. What works for you may not work for me. Thats the beauty of try before you buy. Or even better, the free versions. Use the AV that fits your needs coupled with active or on demand antimalware applications in a layered approach and you'll be fine.

Some good information by our very own quietman7: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Like I have said many many times. Due to unique configurations and individual needs there is no 'best' Anti-Virus or Firewall. What works for you may not work for me. Thats the beauty of try before you buy. Or even better, the free versions. Use the AV that fits your needs coupled with active or on demand antimalware applications in a layered approach and you'll be fine.

Some good information by our very own quietman7: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

Thank you for the advice. I made this just to see overall which antivirus and firewall is people's favorites.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Understood. Then your poll should have been. "What is your first choice for an Anti-Virus and Firewall?" Please explain why in your reply after voting.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Andora

Andora

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

I tried downloading Comodo, only to be directed to CNET. Which is where I caught myself TNT2user.exe in the first place. O.o Anyone know where I can download this safely?

#6 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

I tried downloading Comodo, only to be directed to CNET. Which is where I caught myself TNT2user.exe in the first place. O.o Anyone know where I can download this safely?

I think you can only download Comodo from CNET to be honest (unless you want to use FileHippo: http://www.filehippo.com/download_comodo/, this is not the official download however so I don't know what it will be like), I have used CNET before and have Comodo running fine on my computer, and it has not given me any problems. Just make sure to not install any toolbars or other stuff they try to bundle it with.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#7 Andora

Andora

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Uh huh. When I downloaded a software two days ago I made sure to have nothing additional ticked. And still I caught TNT"user.exe

#8 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

Uh huh. When I downloaded a software two days ago I made sure to have nothing additional ticked. And still I caught TNT"user.exe

Hmm, if you are sure (not doubting you, but you can get these threats from everywhere these days) then something should be said to CNET and Comodo since that is not right, especially for software which is meant to protect you...

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

#9 Andora

Andora

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

It wasn't Comodo, I downloaded a Day Planner software, but now I'm absolutely leery of CNET. While looking for information about that browser hijacker I came across several people stating they caught this from CNET.

#10 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

It wasn't Comodo, I downloaded a Day Planner software, but now I'm absolutely leery of CNET. While looking for information about that browser hijacker I came across several people stating they caught this from CNET.

Ah, I see, perhaps dodgy software/download which CNET may not know about. Anyway they should be notified, hopefully one of the helpers should be able to help you remove it.

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 15 June 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

CNet knows about it. A few years ago, they changed things so that if you download anything, you get all kinds of extra junk you don't need. Stay away from there.

#12 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

CNet knows about it. A few years ago, they changed things so that if you download anything, you get all kinds of extra junk you don't need. Stay away from there.

I know that it wants you to install these other programs, but Andora says that unticked the boxes and still got this program. That needs to be reported as I know that they do look into if it downloads other programs without your permission. I always try and download from the publisher's website, but sometimes you cannot.

#13 vulcain

vulcain

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hello,

From AVG and Antivir, for many years I stayed on Avast me that agree very well despite a lousy interface. But as the interface does not protect me, the quality of free product is excellent.
Comodo who excel in a fault, it consumes resources especially antivirus and requires a thorough knowledge of the parameterization. The latest version allows wireless protection. The biggest complaint is their certificate and does not prevent access to sites distributing malware or soft recompress with toolbars. Policy Mehli do controversy.

Site à évite : 01net - Cnet - Softtonic

That's why I chose Avast + Firewall Windows7

Edited by vulcain, 23 June 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#14 blueicetwice

blueicetwice

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

F-Secure, is also a top three Anti-Virus program... :bananas:

#15 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Reading some good reviews about Unthreat Free Antivirus too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users