Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux distros that don't use a lot of resources?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

I'm totally new to the Linux environment so I want to get used it in a virtual machine before I commit to dual-booting it alongside Windows 7 on my current laptop. Any recommendations for distros that don't use too many resources but are easy for a beginner to configure and play with? For example, Ubuntu 12.04 was awesome but it ran very slow with the maximum amount of memory I could spare it in VirtualBox (like 1GB).

Thank you for your help!

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

"Any recommendations for distros that don't use too many resources but are easy for a beginner to configure and play with? . . ."

PCLOS-LXDE ( http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=188 ) is very beginner-friendly;

Vector Linux 7.0 Light ( http://vectorlinux.com/news/vector-linux-7.0-light-released ) is easily configurable and worked out-of-the-box for me, even with BCM4313 wireless;

antiX-12 ( http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2012/07/antix-12-most-complete-lightweight.html ) is very light on resources, works on most any old hardware, but can be a headache with wireless configurations;

lxle-12.04 ( http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/LXLE-extends-life-of-ageing-computers-182411 ) is ubuntu-based, very pretty, light on resources,but did not allow me to "shell out" to the virtual console using Ctrl-Alt-F2, etc.

Any of these should answer your question.  As always, the choice is yours!

Edited by pane-free, 17 May 2013 - 09:34 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#3 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

Crunchbang #! is light and fast .... http://crunchbang.org/

#4 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

Ubuntu is alittle slow in vm's however this isn't necessarily due to ram (your hard drive or the virutal cpu coding could be partly responsible)...if you can spare 1 gb of ram for a Vm then you have plenty for a smooth native install exeprience. Ubuntu is the a great distro to learn on as there are a lot of helpful guides for it, as well as loads of software to install.

If you want a lightweight distro try tinycore linux, i've recently discovered it...it's got a few difficulties but it's very cool...it's a live cd distro but apparently it can also be installed to a hard drive. It will run on on 32mb's ram I believe.

You could also try Debian which is what ubuntu is based off of.

Wikipedia has a list of linux distros which is very helpful in finding cools ones to try out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

Signature.

#5 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Have you looked at Distrowatch? Very comprehensive range http://distrowatch.com/

#6 bitesized1612

bitesized1612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Thank you all for your replies! :)

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#7 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

I just installed it. It looks like fun, and I suppose it will be, but I've been on the post installation script for over an hour, with no end in sight.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#8 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

If you like the ubuntu experience, get lubuntu or xubuntu. Lubuntu is the lightest weight of all  the *buntu's, but xubuntu has a bit more eye candy (like more of what you would see on ubuntu) but requires a tad more resources.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#9 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

.......   but I've been on the post installation script for over an hour, with no end in sight.

I think that might be your download speed. I went yes to all options & was done in 10 mins.

#10 bitesized1612

bitesized1612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

Update:

I'm testing Linux Lite 1.0.4 and it's running a bit slow but very smoothly on minimum resources. I could easily switch in-between my host OS and the VB window and do tasks in both. A bit sluggish just because this laptop is middle-aged, but very nice. It comes full featured off the .iso, you don't have to configure much and it uses half the resources that Ubuntu does. I heartily reccommend it.  :thumbsup:

#11 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

I am about to install Bodhi linux to an ancient Compaq Presario SR1710. I think this particular one came off the Ark with Noah. I will be posting the results of this venture, so check back often.

#12 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

I am about to install Bodhi linux to an ancient Compaq Presario SR1710. I think this particular one came off the Ark with Noah. I will be posting the results of this venture, so check back often.

Well, that was anti-climatic. Old Noah must have gotten this wet. It doesn't work. At least it was free.

#13 bitesized1612

bitesized1612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Well, that was anti-climatic. Old Noah must have gotten this wet. It doesn't work. At least it was free.

Did you test it in VMWare or...?

I think that's the essential draw of Linux: it's free, there's a variety of distros for different types of users and generally awesome community support if something goes wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users