Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 -venom-

-venom-

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:51 AM

ok, hi im new to this forum, and i found this in desperation because i dont know what to do. I have downloaded avast, spybot S&D and have cleared up a lot of viruses/spyware etc. However i did an online scan with ewido and i still have 22 infections. Most of them are Adware.Altnet, i was wondering is it safe to delete infected files from the WINDOWS folder? help appreciated. thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:19 PM

I would not recommend that you open the Windows folder and just delete files without knowing what they are. The ewido online scan is still a beta and they have this notice posted on the web site.

Please note that this is an unfinished beta version. Therefore it shouldn't be used on productive systems as errors could occur.

I suggest you download and scan with Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions

Ewido will automatically delete most malware files it finds.

If you want to try another online scan use: a-squared Web Malware Scanner
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
There are three options: Quick Scan, Smart Scan, Deep Scan and Custom Scan. The default selection is Smart Scan which is fast and scans the most important folders.
1. Click "Scan Your PC".
2. You may receive an alert on the address bar that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then click "Insall ActiveX component".
3. A new window will appearing asking "Do you want to install this software?""
4. Select "Install" to download the ActiveX controls.
5. Click the blue "Scan" botton on the right to begin.
6. When the scan is completed, place a check mark in each box indicating malware and click "Quarantine selected objects"
7. Click "View Quarantine" to restore or permanently delete any or all items.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 -venom-

-venom-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:24 PM

ok, thanks

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:27 PM

Your welcome. Let us know how you make out or if you need help identifying a specific file that cannot be deleted.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users