Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fluctuating C: size & mysterious Q: drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:00 AM

I was going to run Defraggler when  I noticed two odd things.  I'm running an HP Mini 210-4000 that was purchased last year on W7 Starter SP1, 2GB RAM via an online store.

First, the size of drive C: was in a state of flux most of the time that I looked at it in Defraggler, but the amount of flux is small enough that it doesn't show in Windows Explorer.  This seemed to prevent the defragmentation process from proceeding as it stayed at 0% for quite a while after the initial processes were completed.  I thought Defraggler was damaged, so I uninstalled it and installed a fresh download (newer, too), but the result was the same.

Second, there is a drive Q: that has 0 space allotted to it.  No, it's not the recovery partition, which is D:. and I cannot access it or its properties.  I'm wondering if this could be an MBR rootkit or something similar.  Spybot free, SAS trial, MBAM trial and Avast free didn't find anything bad on the computer.

Does anyone have any suggestions about these two possibly related problems?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Hi, I believe that Your Drive Q is related to Microsoft Office 2010. It appeared when I installed Office on this computer too. As Long as You have Office 2010 the Drive letter Q is nothing to worry about. I researched this issue when Drive Q appeared. Mine also shows no size FWIW.

This is what I show for Fragmentation on my System. As C: & D: are on a SSD they do not need defragging.

defrag.jpg

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 May 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Well, Roger, that is certainly very interesting and explains Q:.  Thanks so much!  I wonder why Office 2010 does that?

Hopefully someone can help me understand why my C: space is fluctuating nearly constantly.

Edited by RevGAM, 18 May 2013 - 10:29 AM.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#4 jamiep87

jamiep87

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

That Q drive is for virtualization (App-V) so it will come and go as it needs to. Sometimes the letter will change if its already taken.

#5 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Thanks again, Roger!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users