Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Ultimate, BSOD and not able to recover

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CB54

CB54

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

Hello fellow Bleepers, or fellow followers of this awesome site!

I have a real problem that I cannot solve and would really love some help.

First, I cannot run the SRCCY utility that was recommended on one of the other threads. As such, I'll try my best to describe the computer and the issue.

Computer:

Self-modified from a SystemMax unit (only original part left is the box!)

Thermaltake Modular PS - 1,000 Watt

Intel DG43GT Mobo

Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6700) - 2.66 GHz

8 GB DDR2 running at 800 MHz FSB

128 GB HDD Patriot Torqx2 SSD (OS Resident)

1 TB Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD

1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD

HP Lightscribe 8X DVD reader/writer

PNY GeForce GTs450 Video Card

One IBM LED Hi-Res 20" Monitor

One E-Machine 22" Hi-Res Monitor

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS

Left the computer running the other evening when I went out. In the interim, there were numerous storms in the area and the power was knocked out. The UPS only has about 45 minutes life in that situation. Computer kept running during outage (likely, but not know for sure). Electricity was restored, but no one came in to shut down/reboot the computer before the UPS ran out. When I got home later that evening, there was a BSOD. Did not get the error code, cause I went for the last best (F8) immediately. However, I have been unable to recover the OS and boot the unit since then.

I have read and followed many of the tutorials here on Bleeping Computer, plus also on MS TechNet. I've tried to get the last best, however, it failed. After following many tutorials, including the one concerning recovery using the command line, there is still no ability to complete the boot. I've tried getting the driver for the SSD and flashing the firmware to get the thing working again. The SSD has been recognized, but only on the reserved 100 mb partition from the original install. Otherwise, the command prompt goes to x:\sources. Have a Win 7 recovery disk, but the recovery screen does not find a Windows 7 OS. I have a Windows PE disk, but not the WIM for this unit. The image I have is on a home server, but is at least 6 months old, perhaps longer. The files and data are completely backed up and not an issue. 

Tried booting using the Win 7 Home Premium disk that I have (the upgrade to Ultimate is on a file on the unusable drive!). Have tried bootrec. Have tried one of the turorials where regedit was suggested. Done a Scannow and got no errors. Just keep getting the 'invalid partition table' and 'MBR corrupt' messages.Currently, the error code is a corrupt MBR, with error code 0x490, noted on MS site as Error 1168 - Element not found.

Is there any way to recover from this without having to do a format and reinstall of Win 7? Have gone ahead and taken off all extraneous connections so that currently the computer consists of the video card, the SSD (with the not recogmized OS on it), and the DVD burner. That did not work either!

Please, looking for advice on correcting this using the command prompt, or any method of recovery at this point! Do not want to use an old image, reinstall OS, reinstall all the programs, etc. You all know the drill!! Please help. Thank you very much in advance for your time and effort, I appreciate any and all comments of help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:56 AM

Hi

Do you have a working spare system with Win 7 installed ? (need to prepare some repair tools ). 

From the descriptions you posted, what i understand is your C drive file system (may be partition table too ) got damaged by  sudden power failure. Your first step should be is to run CheckDisk  on the C drive. Usually your C drive will be mounted in a different drive letter in the recovery console command prompt. First 100 MB partition will be assigned with letter "C" and usually your OS volume will be assigned "D". It could be different but assuming your OS drive is mounted as "D", you should run   CHKDSK D: /R from the repair command prompt.

After running check disk, press F8 when booting and select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" . Now you will be able to see the BSOD screen. Write down all the info (stop code, error description etc ) or take a snapshot of the screen. Post it in the next reply.

#3 CB54

CB54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Thank you so much for responding. The down computer is my work unit and I'm getting nothing done at the moment!

Yes, I have a laptop that runs Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.

Do not think it's related to any power surges, as the UPS is between the line and the unit, but not really germane, as the SSD seems to be fried. The reporting shows no partition table and no installed version of Windows.

Ran the Chkdsk on the C drive when I got to a command prompt, but it found no errors. I did not run it with the R switch. The D drive was an actual hard drive that was mounted, so I did not run Chkdsk on it. The peculiar thing about the deal is that there are 4 hard drives on the unit, but only 2 showed up after this BSOD episode.

Currently all HDD are disconnected except for the SSD that has the OS. It is showing a 2 MB partition and nothing else.

Downloaded firmware for the SSD but can't get it to run. Cannot even get to the shadow copy x: volume now. F8 has no effect on the system, as the last good has been lost.

Starting to think the only way to recover is a fresh install.

Perhaps you have some suggestions about attempt to repair? That would be wonderful as I would not have to reload all the programs.

Thanks so much.

Chuck

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

Hi

If the partition table is really damaged, it is better to do reinstall the OS. If you wish, you can try the excellent TestDisk which can recover lost partitions and recover partition table.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Livecd

To diagnose the physical condition of the SSD, you can connect it as a slave drive in another system and use the excellent HDTune to do a surface scan.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users