Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nuclear_Ice

Nuclear_Ice

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

Hello, I'm seeing an issue I've NEVER had before and I've worked with many people's computers.

Here's an overview of events so far:

Today my computer wouldn't POST. I built this computer 5 months ago and haven't had an issue until now.

I did troubleshooting and unplugged everything from the back. It POSTED and booted into Windows 8 just fine. So I plugged back in each usb device sequentially. The troublemaker was my USB Hub I've had for three years. It's a DYNEX.

After leaving it unplugged it would boot just fine. I went and blew the dust out of my machine taking all precautions to avoid damage. I've used compressed air to clean dust out over 50 times and never had an issue.

When I plugged everything back in, Windows 8 threw a boot device error.
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device."

I checked my SATA cable on the hard drive and it was knocked loose. It's a Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD. The plastic connector broke away when I first installed it (many reports of this issue) so I just slid it on and left it like Kingston reccommended ( I know I should get this warrantied...) I plugged it back in and reconfigured boot priority to this drive.

Now, when I start the computer it hangs in the same place as before, but there is only a blinking cursor. No boot device message. I tried clearing41 CMOS and re-configuring BIOS again to no avail.

This is where it gets odd. I've never seen an issue like this before. I tried the MBR repair steps here: Windows 8 Boot Issues? Try Fixing the Master Boot Record (MBR) or Boot Configuration Data (BCD) - TechSpot

When I checked bcdedit, the Device item showed F: on boot manager & D: on boot loader. I set them to C: as stated in the tutorial. This didn't fix the issue. I went into system restore and tried to do a restore from 5/13/13; the restore point showed what is normally my C drive as "F" and my two storage drives showed as "C" & "D". I didn't want to mess anything up so I canceled. 

Windows 8 will boot just fine if I hit F8 and select my ASUS CD-ROM drive but when it says "Press any key to boot from CD" I ignore it. Windows 8 proceeds and skips the CD and loads just fine. The drive letters are correct when I open My Computer.

Any tips or suggestions? I'm really stumped here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hi

How the system works when SSD is set as the first boot device ?. Also try booting after disconnecting the DVD drive.

#3 Nuclear_Ice

Nuclear_Ice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

It goes to the screen before it loads windows and just has blinking cursor. Same effect after disconnecting the DVD drive.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

hi

That is strange. I have seen enough boot failure issues but never saw a HDD boots only when DVD set to the first boot device.

Is your motherboard supports UEFI ? . Then make sure boot mode is selected as "Legacy" instead of "UEFI".

#5 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

so you have a CD/DVD drive, 1 SSD, 2 Hard Drives? What port order are they connected in? (eg sata0=CD/DVD, sata1=SSD, sata2=HD1, sata3=HD2) and what boot order are they in? (eg=sata0 = primary boot)

My first thought is that perhaps your bootloader (maybe your MSR too if you have one) aren't installed to the same drive as the operating system..which would explain the drive letter changes. When you set your CD/DVD as 1st boot did any of your other drives have their order changed automatically?

Signature.

#6 Nuclear_Ice

Nuclear_Ice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

so you have a CD/DVD drive, 1 SSD, 2 Hard Drives? What port order are they connected in? (eg sata0=CD/DVD, sata1=SSD, sata2=HD1, sata3=HD2) and what boot order are they in? (eg=sata0 = primary boot)

My first thought is that perhaps your bootloader (maybe your MSR too if you have one) aren't installed to the same drive as the operating system..which would explain the drive letter changes. When you set your CD/DVD as 1st boot did any of your other drives have their order changed automatically?

Correct.  

sata1 = SSD

sata2 = CD/DVD

sata3/4 = HD1/2 respectively.  

Boot order is set to the following:

1) SSD

2) CD/DVD

3) disabled

4) disabled

I just set it this morning to my CD/DVD first because that's the only way I can boot.  It will go through the normal boot procedure and when it says "Press any key to boot from cd . . ." I just let it skip and it loads Windows 8.  No drive orders were changed automatically.

I really can't afford to reformat right now as I have too much going on and I need my PC.  I think that's the route I will have to take down the road in a few weeks.

#7 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

what disc do you have in the CD/DVD drive?

Under Disk Managment is the OS partition listed as the boot parition?

are you using UEFI or legacy mode for you installation?

Signature.

#8 Nuclear_Ice

Nuclear_Ice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:41 AM

what disc do you have in the CD/DVD drive?

Under Disk Managment is the OS partition listed as the boot parition?

are you using UEFI or legacy mode for you installation?

I have a Windows 8 x64 Installation DVD.

Disk Management shows C: (OS drive) as Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition).

UEFI.

Edited by Nuclear_Ice, 22 May 2013 - 12:46 AM.

#9 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:19 AM

well that explains why the mbr fix didn't work.

UEFI requires GPT which means you only have a protected MBR not an editable one, mbr fixes won't work on gpt drives because your boot information isn't stored in the mbr on them. There are gpt equavalents of that type of fix, but I'm not familiar with performing them.

that said none of this appears to matter since if it was a corrupt entry you wouldn't be able to boot period...i'm very stumped too, awaiting inspiration.

Signature.

#10 Nuclear_Ice

Nuclear_Ice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

well that explains why the mbr fix didn't work.

UEFI requires GPT which means you only have a protected MBR not an editable one, mbr fixes won't work on gpt drives because your boot information isn't stored in the mbr on them. There are gpt equavalents of that type of fix, but I'm not familiar with performing them.

that said none of this appears to matter since if it was a corrupt entry you wouldn't be able to boot period...i'm very stumped too, awaiting inspiration.

Thanks for the help.  Looks like I won't be able to solve this one.  Time to reformat..again. :) lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users