Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Javascript Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Calum

Calum

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:22 AM

I hope someone can be of some help. I'm doing a mock exam and I'm a bit puzzled at one of the questions.

Q. Which of the following statements is true concerning Javascript?

There were four possible answers, but two could be ruled out right away. The remaining two are -

1. Javascript code can be interpreted either by Internet Explorer and Netscape.
2. Javascript is a more powerful scripting language than VBScript.

As far as I know, both of these statements are true. So which one should I pick? I tend to go more for the first statement.

Calum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

In my opinion, the first one would be more correct. I would argue the claim that Javascript is a more powerful scripting language than VBScript is subjective.. sort of like "Snickers is better than Milky Way". Even putting that aside, with VBScript I can create standalone programs to do a variety of things that can't be done with JavaScript. The answer is also ambiguous. What exactly does "best" mean? Best for what? Best in all situations? Certainly not. If that were the case, why would anyone use VBScript? Is it best in some instances? Maybe.

#3 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. The first question should have read "... either by Internet Explorer OR BY Netscape." Not that it makes much difference. I also think the first question is the answer.

Calum.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:28 PM

I must agree with my esteemed colleagues, and say that the two possibilities could both be true and it is hard to say which is the best answer. So, I'm curious as to what the other two posibilities are and why they are so obviously incorrect.

Aslo, could it be a trick question: That none of the answers are completely true?

#5 Calum

Calum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:18 AM

The other two possible answers are -

1. Javascript is an object-oriented programming language.
2. JScript is a Netscape proprietary implementation of Javascript.

I'm sure you will see these two statements are untrue.

Calum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users