Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mi.grate from old Dell Xp 32 Bit to new Dell Windows 8 z-64 Bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dazza

Dazza

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

Hi guys my old Dell Pc has died after 10 yrs so I ha ve bought a new Dell Inspiron 660 Pc my problem is how to

1 Migrate all my windows 32 bit stuff to windows 8 64 bit I think it is?

I have 99% of my stuff on a 1 Terra ExHdd

Will xp32 greet win 8 64 bit

Will my sharp 23 inch Digital TV connect to the new computer using a usual monitor in cable to a HDMI adapter out cable cheers Dasha

D

Edited by Dazza, 17 May 2013 - 12:08 AM.

2013 DELL Inspiron 660, Intel 4 CPU - 2.4 GB, 512 Meg Ram, 64 bit / BEN-Q 21.5" Scr,

Windows 10, Weston 1000 T-byte HDD - Partitions -  G, -  H, - I, - J 

CCleaner, Kaspersky (Full Version) MWMByts Weekly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

You should be able to plug your old external drive into the new drive and use the data on there without any problem. Any applications that were installed on the old computer, though, need to be reinstalled on the new computer.

As for using your TV as a monitor, it looks like your new computer has a HDMI port. You theoretically should be able to connect the computer to the monitor using a standard HDMI cable and then specify in the display properties to you use the second monitor.

#3 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

Hi Grinler thank you for your help cheers for now Dasha

2013 DELL Inspiron 660, Intel 4 CPU - 2.4 GB, 512 Meg Ram, 64 bit / BEN-Q 21.5" Scr,

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

One thing I'd like to add.  Because your previous computer was 32 bit and your new computer is 64 bit, programs designed for the old computer may not work on the new one.  You may need to get 64 bit versions.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Hi Orange Blossum

I understand that you had to move my Thread. Where do I find it now I need to see if I recieved any help on that problem? I saw your advice 32 to 64 Bitdon't mix BUT All my old "installed Programs" Windows XP 32 bit are  still on my old computer! I have reinstalled and downloaded all the exact same 'Programs' on this New Computer in fact every program I have downloaded asked to install "Win 8x86"!

The new programs installed in the "Programs folder" on the new Computer are Listed as Programs Or Programsx86. I really am getting concerned and need to get some advice, could you please advise me where my thread is posted?

I thought it was still related to the" Questions and advice for Buying a new computer" thread? It is related to my initial thread asking Is "Win8 32 Bit or 64 Bit" and will "Windows 32 and Windows8 64 bit talk to each other" I believe they are both versions of 32 and 64 Bit

Cheers Dasha

Edited by Dazza, 27 May 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#6 Dazza

Dazza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

Just a Further Note Orange Blossum (Sorry to Keep Bothering you) I went and googled 32 and 64 bit Windows 8 and you were spot on" and I have 64 bit Windows 8 so I will move this to the BC Windows 8 Forum and I will have to ask if its nesscecary for me to Remove all the Apps and programs I have downloaded etc etc Thanks for the Advice hope I see you over there cheers and Tahnks for your help Dasha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users