Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sfc /scannow -- Can't fix corrupt files?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 D&S+14

D&S+14

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

I just took care of some malware issues over at:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494624/excessive-cpu-usage-infection/

Thankfully, they are resolved. However, the last instructions that I was give was to run an administrator level sfc /scannow...

... and it returned this:

cbslog.jpg

So there are corrupt files.. but it can't fix them, and it never asked me for the CD.  I ran it a second time with the CD already in the computer, but it made no difference.

It appears that the problem is related to "autochk.exe".  The log is too large to simply attach. (2.3 MB)

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

Autochk.exe is part of chkdsk. It runs automatically on start up under certain situations. It's usually a good idea to run chkdsk after an sfc scan that finds certain errors or problems.

Did sfc prompt you to insert the CD during the scan? Inserting it before the scan won't make any difference if sfc doesn't "call" for the CD. Sfc won't fix some corrupt files if they aren't critical to startup or to basic system operation. You may need to do a repair operation from the CD in order to address this issue.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hi

If SFC can't repair a corrupted file, your best option is to do a repair install. It will preserve all your data, program and settings while replacing all the core Windows files. Read the below guide to know how to do a repair install properly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 17 May 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#4 D&S+14

D&S+14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

No, it never asked me for the CD.  I do not know what a repair operation is...

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Anshad left some nice instructions on how to do that. If you have the installation CD, you can run it from there, or from the recovery partition if you have one of those on your hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users