Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio won't boot. Has winload.exe corrupt or missing.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 stoney500

stoney500

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

model# vgn-cr240e with Toshiba hard drive model# mk2035gss s1. Boot up stops at windows boot manager with winload.exe failing to load. Upon  reboot and pressing f2  bios reads:  "200 gb hard drive"   and in "Configure Boot Order" bios reads: "Toshiba mk2035gss s1". So I am guessing that the computer has found the drive. Then pressing f10 to continue and boot up the windows has failed to start page comes back up with black screen, white text,(same as previous boot attempt) and reads:  

file:   \windows\system32\winload.exe

status: 0xc000000f

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the

application is missing or corrupt. 

Then by pressing esc key computer reboots and I press f10 on boot up and windows boot manager reads:

Path:   \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

[    /DETECTATHAL  /MININT  /REDIRECT  RDIMAGEOFFSET=8192  RDIMAGELENGTH=3161088 R DPATH=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\sources\boot.wim

which I am pretty sure is my corrupt winload.exe file. The file shows no c: anywhere and using a windows 7 upgrade disk to boot with eventually gets me to the "Repair computer"" screen and asks me to load drivers for my hard disk because there is no drive to load files to. No c: is listed to repair. Do I need to load drivers? Where do I find them? I have looked for weeks and have come up empty.

I am all ears and need help on this one. I appreciate all input as this has been a problem for about 3 weeks now without my laptop. 

also: I have no recovery disks for this computer and the recovery partition seems to be gone.

Thank you to all who makes time to answer. Again,it is very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

I have no recovery disks for this computer and the recovery partition seems to be gone.

Did you check the hard drive if its still reliable or error free? Try running a created bootable disc from the Toshiba support site and see if the drive passes the tests first.

Tekken

#3 stoney500

stoney500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

I will try the Toshiba support site again for a bootable download but I looked there before and unless I missed something, they had nothing to help me. win 7 upgrade disc does boot up my computer to x: and it will run some diagnostics but try to change the drive to c: it reads that there is no c: available or "drive not found"

'

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

Hi

Toshiba is known for not providing proper testing tools for their HDD. The one listed in their site won't work with majority of Toshiba HDDs (It only works for a limited models of Fujitsu-Toshiba hard disks)  . You have to use some other tool like "Seagate Seatool" to test the surface of the HDD.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Usually i use it to diagnose Toshiba HDD . Boot from the CD and run a "Long test" with it. If it reports any errors, post that in next reply. 

#5 stoney500

stoney500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

Toshiba Support Site lists by Tosiba laptops only not by hard drives in Sony (or any other brand) laptops. They do have diagnostic tools for sata drives but as far as I can tell the drive must be bootable to work. Any more ideas?

#6 stoney500

stoney500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

The last post by Anshad I just now saw. I will try Seatools and post my outcome. Thanks.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

Just to add an option for bootable issue and possible hard drive testing per say, look into the built-in diagnostic test of your drive and other helpful FAQ facts from the manufacturing support site from here. The laptop must have a boot screen function key to press on early splash screen in order to access the hard drive diagnostic (Fn + ?, Esc, F8).

Tekken

#8 stoney500

stoney500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

jhayz, I don't follow what you mean. Are you saying that there is a fn key + another key to access diagnostics? From what I can tell the recovery partition is nowhere to be found.. I have been to Sony's and Toshiba's support sites many times and keep coming up with nothing.The farthest I have progressed iswhen I  boot up with a win 7 upgrade disk then after drivers load (they load to x:) I click on repair computer. Then it says I need to load drivers for my Hard disc. Thats where I get stuck. 

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

Hi

Most of the SONY laptops don't have a built in diagnostics like HP and Dell. Some models supports diagnostics via "VAIO Care" but that is after booting in to Windows. That is why we need to use DOS based HDD diagnostics.

Did you completed Seatool test ? . Any attempt to repair Windows should be done after verifying the health condition of your HDD.

Also, do you have a Win 7 upgrade disk ? . I guess the laptop originally came with Vista and you purchased a Win 7 upgrade DVD. Is that right ?

#10 stoney500

stoney500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Anshad, I can't seem to be able to boot the laptop to run seatools.  I do have win 7 upgrade disks both 32 bit and 64 bit (I am specifically using 32 bit to boot and load Windows files) but as far as I can get is when Win 7 setup asks me which drive to load to there is none. Then asks for drivers to load for hard disk and I can't find any.  Is there a bootable seatools download available? Thanks for your input.

Also, yes vista was the original O.S. and I did purchase the Win 7 upgrade disk(s).

I can get into the winload.exe file to edit it but don't know what to edit it to read so it will boot and load.

Edited by stoney500, 19 May 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

For upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 - http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=508&mdl=VGNCR240E did you refer to the information from this site on how to upgrade?

Tekken

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

Hi

From the last reply you posted what i understand is you are able to boot from the Win 7 upgrade DVD but the setup can't find any hard drive to install. Is that right ? . If yes, it look like a HDD problem.

The link i posted is a bootable version of the Seatool. You can download it and burn to a disc using "Imgburn" or some other ISO burning app. Once again, here is the download link of the ISO.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Here is a nice video which illustrates how to test HDD using Seatool. What you need to do is a "Long test" with Seatool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users