Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Issues!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rovan

Rovan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:49 AM

Hi, my name is ruan and i am from Namibia. I have a particular problem on a Windows 2003 standard Server
that i am to stupid to sort out. The display on the screen is set up to such a extend that i can not read a single
text sentence. I have uninstalled the display driver, reinstalled it, installed a different display driver, set
the windows theme to classic(standard windows view), resolution, colour depth, but no joy. The display on
the server will not reset to the standard windows view and as a result whenever i try to install any application
then i can not read a single thing. All i get is either a complete white or grey where the text is supposed to be. I know this is Stupid problem, but a problem for me nonethless. My question i guess would be:
How in the hell do i restore my display to a standard windows classic view, without working through the Display properties screen. Please any help would be much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

I can think of a couple of things:

Do you have magnifier turned on?

What resolution is your screen set at? Can you reset it in Safe Mode? (Standard 640 x 480 VGA)

Is your monitor very old? Sometimes, old monitors cannot work at higher screen resolutions.

Can you try a different video card?

#3 Rovan

Rovan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

No, 800 X 600 32-bit, yes i can reset it in safe mode, the monitor is a 17' lG CRT monitor. Have tried i different video card but the problem still persist. It looks like the windows theme is stuffed and every effort to restore it to the standard theme has not been effective at all. Is there not maybe a way to reset the default windows theme somewhere else...

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:52 PM

Of course, there's Control Panel -> Display, and the Theme tab. But if the theme tab is messed up or something, and the themes are not available, you can install one of these patches from Kelly's Korner. The Luna Theme is the standard XP theme, and the Classic theme is the old-fashioned Windows theme from earlier Operating systems.

You have to be able to see the file you downloaded, double-click it and answer yes. Maybe from Safe Mode with Networking?

Have you tried moving your mouse cursor to one side of the screen to see if the background will move?

#5 Rovan

Rovan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:22 AM

Thanks I'll try the luna theme and the background stays the same when i move the mouse. I think that something or someone has tampered with the individual settings of the theme. You under the display there is a advanced tab for editing all the smaller fields like display, icons, background borders etc. how does one reset that to standard view, you know in 98 i could just say use standard windows view and then everything would be reset, but on the server when i go to themes and load the standard theme i does not appear to effect the indivdual settings. As a result i get this screen where i can see all text on the toolbars on top, but as soon as i open any application the actual viewing text in the window is not visible. So when you edit the settings under the advanced button under Control Panel > Display >Appearance ====does that and the themes affect one another. otherwise is there a way to reset those settings as well or do i have to set them each individually?

Edited by Rovan, 12 April 2006 - 02:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users