Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop advice!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HijackThat

HijackThat

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

I'm starting my search for a new laptop. I'm concerned about brands. Last time I was searching for laptops the best non-cluttered, fast startup laptops were Asus, Lenovo, and I can't remember what else... is this still accurate? Are there other brands I should be aiming for? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

I personally prefer HP, Toshiba, and Asus. I have no personal experience with Lenovo but I know from others that they can be upgraded to be quite the beast of a machine (this is quite expensive but the ability is there).

All laptops are going to have some clutter (bloatware) that you will want to get rid of, as far as fast booting if you look for one with an SSD and then spend some time optimizing you should be impressed with the speed.

As much as I hate to say it, Dells are pretty good too, they have decent build quality and they can be power houses, again a little more on the pricey side but good.

Do you have any specs in mind or a price range?

#3 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

I second greengiant.

SSD's have been and continue to drop in price. If fast startups are really what you are looking for, anything with an SSD will be very quick.

Unofficial iOS Genius

#4 vijay.seo

vijay.seo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

My preference will be lenovo as i have been using this from last 2 years.. Apart from this hp is a good one.. generally you  can buy a laptop with minimum of 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 1 GB graphics, i3 processor ..

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Lenovo-more for business use, Toshiba, HP, Asus, Dell. I would personally stay away from Acer, as they are cheaper made, and from personal experience, you'll spend more needing to upgrade/fix the computer than you actually have in it, or what it's worth. SSD's are also good for fast response times, and of launching applications, booting windows, playing games, and etc, but they have a shorter lifespan than say a HDD would as they write/read faster, and use Flash Memory instead of platters and etc.. the lifespan is shortened.

Edited by chrisd87, 23 May 2013 - 02:46 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users