Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Office Word2007 Does not open files properly, even after multiple reinstalls

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 K.Valkoren

K.Valkoren

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Greetings,

I was Referred over here by CatByte. CatByte was assisting me in removing a Nasty thing from my computer. When all was said and done, my MS Office Word (2007) wasn't working right. Despite CatByte's and My best effort, we weren't able to make it work. Here is a link to that Thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494139/zeroaccess-rootkit-would-like-assistance-with-removal/page-2

We tried a few things, including running MS Fixit. Nothing worked. I was unable to actually do any of the registry "fixes" as the folders did not exist.

So here is the issue (sorry I got ahead of myself), When I try to open a .docx file I get an error stating "There was a problem sending the command to the program." It fires up Word but doesn't open the file. If I restart my computer, then the first document i open will work properly but anything after that (including the same document) will throw that error.

I have tried these things:

Run the Repair 2 times

----

Reinstalled 3 times

----

right click the word.exe icon > properties > compatibility tab

make sure all the boxes are unchecked

Next check the file associations:

Go to Start orb > control panel > default programs

click on "associate a file type or protocol with a program"

scroll down to .docx > make sure it lists "Microsoft Word Document"         

----

Press the WinKey + R to open a run box:

Copy/paste the following command into the run box > press enter:

winword.exe /r

reboot the computer, retry Word,

----

Run the fixit program here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

The fixit program changed my default printer to MS XPS and claimed to have disabled addins which there shouldn't have been any as far as I know.

Also, I tried the steps (same link as above) listed upto these:

Disable the Startup folder add-ins

Delete the COM add-ins registry keys

Determine which COM add-in program is causing the problem

I was unable to perform the first one. I kept getting an error stating I used improper syntax.. I copy pasted and typed it out multiple times. So, I have no idea what the deal was. As for the other two I started to mention that above, how the folders did not exist in the registry. So I was unable to do it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

KV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

Try this.

For Microsoft Word, you can try deleting a registry key that’s just used to store some options and preferences and won’t harm anything if deleted. It’s the Word Data registry key and it has been known to cause problems on occasions. If you delete it, it will be recreated when you open Word again the next time.

Word 2007 – HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\12.0\Word\Data

After you delete the registry key, please restart the computer and then open Word.

Edited by chrisd87, 17 May 2013 - 08:06 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 K.Valkoren

K.Valkoren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

Greetings,
Thank you for the reply.
Unfortunately that did not work for me. And actually made things slightly worse. Before I could actually open the document when I restarted the computer the first time now it will not open.

KV

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

Have you stopped/restarted the print spooler. I know it seems weird, but give it a shot and see if it helps. Go into the services.msc and find the print spooler, and then stop and restart it.

Also try this as well.

Go to : C:\Users\"Your User Name"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates  and rename the Normal.dotm (right click rename) to OldNormal.dotm and see if that helps.

You'll need to make sure that show hidden  files and folders is selected to be able to view the app data  folder.

Also when you go to the compatibility tab under start-all programs- Microsoft office- word "Right click-Properties-Compatibility" Make sure that you also change the  "Change settings for all users" as well.

If you have any templates or macros enabled/installed on word. Try removing those as well to see if it will help.

Here is another fix you can try as well:

Open Microsft Word. Click on the Office symbol in the upper left corner and on the bottom choose Word Options. This will bring up the Word Option window. Choose Advanced on left. Scroll to the very bottom and under Compatibilty Options. Change Layout this document as if created in: to Microsoft Word 2003. You can always save it as a 2007 word doc after ii is open if you wish.

Edited by chrisd87, 17 May 2013 - 11:53 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#5 K.Valkoren

K.Valkoren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

I tried each item suggested. I am still getting the same error. If I uninstall it again and this time wipe all the registry entries for word, do you think it would do any good?

KV

#6 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

I would suggest uninstaling Office again, creating another user account (temporarily), and install office under that user account to see if the same error occurs when launching word as that user. If it does occur then you are no better off and I apologize for wasting your time, if it doesn't occur then you know that whatever the problem is, it's specific to registry settings or files attached to your default user (which helps narrow the list).

Signature.

#7 victor7

victor7

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

I have the same problem with trying to print.  I have Win 7 on a computer on which I can also play crisis 2; Office 2007, and an HP Photosmart 6515 printer.  Everything has worked fine for a couple of years.  Then two weeks ago I lost the printer, getting the message "There was a problem sending command to program". I hadn't used the printer for 2-3 weeks.  When I hit 'print' I get the info that it is printing, the printer activates, and kicks out blank pages.  The printer queue window shows the doc, and it can be canceled, but not printed.

I've done most of the above, and checked for advice online.  Sometimes I get a reference to Nividia update and in USERS my folder now has a lock symbol on it that I hadn't noticed before (never looked closely, I guess, or saw it and since I had no problems I ignored it).  HP says it's a Word problem; and I've gotten no reply from Word. Reinstalled the printer twice, Word 2007, and ran every troubleshooter for the printer, Word and Win 7 that I could find.  Everything comes up good for them individually, and I have no problems creating new documents, going online, or downloading and playing games online or offline.

Thoughts (that you can print),,,???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users